Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hood strut won't hold the hood up. I noticed this after I had the car Krown Coated. My local shop wants CAD $130 + 13% tax for parts and labour. How much does this strut cost? And surely it's a bolt and the top and bottom and you're done?

I've looked on Amazon and eBay but can't find the single strut needed for the 2000 Passat.

I do see them for Jettas for CAD $19.00

https://www.amazon.ca/BOXI-Front-Su...ocphy=9000815&hvtargid=pla-569633228146&psc=1

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Here is one for a OEM German brand...
hood-lift-support

The replacement of the hood or trunk/hatch supports are very simple. It should only take five minutes for the removal of the old and installation of the new. There is a black clip on each end which needs to be pulled out slightly with a small flat bladed screwdriver for the old support to be removed. Installation of the new is to press the two ends on to the appropriate stub.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,065 Posts
Here is one for a OEM German brand...
hood-lift-support

The replacement of the hood or trunk/hatch supports are very simple. It should only take five minutes for the removal of the old and installation of the new. There is a black clip on each end which needs to be pulled out slightly with a small flat bladed screwdriver for the old support to be removed. Installation of the new is to press the two ends on to the appropriate stub.
Yeah, 4 minutes to rummage around looking for a small screwdriver and one minute to pop the hood, remove the old and reinstall the new. :lol:

Admiral, you could always venture out locally....https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/auto-parts/volkswagen/passat/2000/hood-lift-support/

Reactions: FrescoGreen01.5

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Ebay.

Prop the hood open. Pry off the metal clip on both ends of the old one and remove. Push one end of the new strut on till it pops into place Then do the other side. Make sure you install it right side up.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I plan on hitting the scrap yard for the one I need, I figure worse comes to worse if I can't find a good one I will marry the one I get with one there already :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts