Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone does this? I want to take the next step and go for my Bachelors. I’d like to do it online so I can continue to work, will anyone know the difference in the end? In other words is that piece of paper the same if it’s from a school with an online division or from an actual school house?

Does anyone have experience with this? I’ve taken a couple online courses but it was just a few classes not a whole degree outline.

Here’s a list of some of the colleges I’ve found with online degrees.

University of Phoenix Online
DeVry University Online
Walden University
Kaplan College Online
AIU Online
Westwood Online
Kennedy-Western University
Jones International University
Ellis College
Capella University
Ellis College Online
The Art Institute Online
University Alliance
Clayton College of Natural Health (CCNH)
University of Liverpool
ITT Technical Institute
American College of Computer & Information Sciences
Colorado Technical University Online
Aspen University
Concord Law School
University of Southern NH

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
My wife has been studying through University of Phoenix for over a year now. She is learning a lot. and doing quite well. It costs alot but the cost easily offset by scheduling and thetype of education you get IF you are self directed, and don't mind doing team projects by yourself because most of the other people do nothing. She has a 3.95 though...

·
Registered
921 Posts
same boat, here
i was considering pheonix,
my isses include: will i learn better, i dont think so
personally im in it for the , of course the money, but first the knowledge
ya ill have the degree, but in a cheesy way

soo far, i have my as and want the bs. and classes + work = no time with the kids
leave me at home online
good luck (i got the associates in Electronic Engineer)

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I'm just starting the training syllabus to be a course facilitator for University of Phoenix, and one of the things they emphasize is that the learning process is very different for UOP students versus traditional college.

While I hate using the newsgroups feature in Outlook Express to follow threads (I'm too used to the forum software here at CB5 and also on Vortex and other places), it does allow for active discussion and experience-sharing, which is a more effective learning-technique for older students.

Andy

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Check for accreditation when shopping for online degrees/universities. You might want to add University of Southern NH to the list. Its an established/accredited private university here in NH that has an online program as well. My .02 says this is the best way to go - no worries about a bought degree vs. an earned one.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I'm doing an online Masters Degree in Engineering Management at Drexel University. It started out as a distance learning/extension campus degree and developed into a fully online degree two years ago. It's working out really great, but be prepared to do the work. There is no osmosis factor online.

I'm not sure what they offer for Bachelor's degrees, but I've heard they are going that way.

Congratulatons for deciding to pursue it and good luck wherever you go,

Carl III

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
This is my feel on online classes/tv classes. While it offers the busy a wonderful opportunity to educate themselves and earn a degree, it will never be as rewarding as compared to attending classes at the University.

The interaction with other students and professor along with first hand experience of team work in group projects, by far is one of the most important aspects of learning. This experience you get supplements your cirriculum and is invaluable, something you won't have in an online or tv class. Sometimes this experience is more important than the material you read.

IMO... if you can work out your schedule to attend classes at the University (night class), do it. You'll get more out of it in the end. Otherwise, go with the online/tv classes.

·
Registered
551 Posts
drive -

what degree are you looking for? the schools that you listed appear to be pretty diverse in their offerings...

??

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fl4ian said:
drive -

what degree are you looking for? the schools that you listed appear to be pretty diverse in their offerings...

??
I’m not sure what degree is next in line. I’ll have my “Associate of Applied Science Degree in Electrical-Electronic Engineering Technology with a Concentration in Computer Networking Hardware” at the end of this semester. At the end of summer I’ll have “Associate of Applied Business Degree in Electrical-Electronic Engineering Technology with a Concentration in Computer Networking Software.” <really long degree names :crazy:

I’m not sure what to go for next. I’ve been going to community college both full and part time on and off… around my work schedule. I really despise school (always have) but have enjoyed the web courses I’ve taken in the past because it was on my schedule.

Anyone have an idea on what the cost is for these schools?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Back from the dead this one is.

Curious if any thoughts have changed on the issue. I've been thinking about it lately myself, so I'm curious in the last year since this thread what we all think.

I just started looking online but UOP and National seem to be out. I'm looking for something with a writing/english degree. Thoughts?

Thanks all.

J

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Im getting my AAS degree this may then I am transferring all my credits to Fort Hays State University ,which is an actual university, and I'll get my BS through online classes in IT.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Whoever you pick, make sure they are regionaly accredited. I'm doing my Masters with Touro University International.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
NUISANCE said:
From my understanding any courses taken through University of Phoenix Online are non transferable.
Huh?!? Usually it's the school you're trying to transfer the credits to that has a say. (Unless UoP is not regionally accredited, then they wouldn't. But I find it hard to believe they are not)

·
My intake has Emphysema
7,712 Posts
pancreas said:
Im getting my AAS degree this may then I am transferring all my credits to Fort Hays State University ,which is an actual university, and I'll get my BS through online classes in IT.
Be careful. I was going to do that but was told that the AAS program isn't transferable to a 4 year program at a university. So, I'm knocking out my core classes at the local com. college as a 4 year program then transfering to George Mason or UMD here locally.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I did the University of Phoenix thing for one year and just could NOT get into the groove of online learning. I felt it took more time to do it online then it did for me to actually go take classes on the evenings and weekends. I've since put off getting my degree until I start my new job that will allow me to take classes at night.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts