Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the Sunday morning paper today and read that the Bush Administration is trying to re-classify fast food positions,(grilling burgers) as a manufacturing position.In an apparent rebuttal to all of the outsourcing of American jobs overseas the Bush administration is trying to make what's left here sound better. It is figured that up to 1/6 of the jobs here in Silicon Valley may be oursourced in the near future as Venture Capitalists and shareholders demand higher profits and better returns on their investments. Since several million manufacturing jobs have disappeared since 2000, and there are millions of fast food workers in the USA, re-classifying them as manufacturing employees would be a good response to the present administration critics arguing that we are losing too many higher paying jobs. However most of the jobs created since 2000 have been at the bottom end of the pay scale.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Aha! So McDonald's scuttling Super Size fries and soft drinks from the menu is just a manifestation of its new lean manufacturing program. :D :crazy:

·
Registered
902 Posts
So wait, if they're reclassified, is the Bush admin. going to say that the country gained x# of manufacturering jobs? Gosh.. that would be low.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
JokerUNM said:
So wait, if they're reclassified, is the Bush admin. going to say that the country gained x# of manufacturering jobs? Gosh.. that would be low.
its a transparent attempt to make the bad news sound less bad. damage control via creative book-keeping.

just the same as lying.

enron was guilty of creative accounting. and now, so is mr. bush.

4 more years of this? jesus, I sure hope not!

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
linux-works said:
just the same as lying.

enron was guilty of creative accounting. and now, so is mr. bush.

4 more years of this? jesus, I sure hope not!
Of course it's the same.

He learned it from the best, Ken Lay.

Flying around on the Enron jet as he was during the primaries before the 2000 election....

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Actual news story quote (about 1/2 way through) said:
The report does not recommend that burger-flippers be counted alongside factory workers.
Typical sensationalized news coverage. And typical news "consumer" reaction, I might add...

The report from the WH was just suggesting that the definition of "manufacturing job" is nebulous, and was using fast food as an example....

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
since the meaning is 'nebulous' and cows actually produce the product (the meat) we should start counting cows as manufacturing jobs...
As long as the cows don't want universal healthcare and a 'mad cow' investigation I'm all for it. I hope the cows don't unionize. That would really drive up the cost of a crappy burger. Then the cows wouldn't care about the quality of their work. Ugh.. then all the burgers will be shoddily made until the unionized American cows can't keep apace of the foreign cows, producing more meat in fewer hours with horrible living conditions. Soon those damned cows will have forced their manufacturing jobs to Mexico too. Then we won't be worrying about whether or not we get supersized fries.. we'll be upset about our supersized order of Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis... with a side of asian Avian Flu McNuggets. :p

·
Registered
551 Posts
since the meaning is 'nebulous' and cows actually produce the product (the meat) we should start counting cows as manufacturing jobs...
As long as the cows don't want universal healthcare and a 'mad cow' investigation I'm all for it. I hope the cows don't unionize. That would really drive up the cost of a crappy burger. Then the cows wouldn't care about the quality of their work. Ugh.. then all the burgers will be shoddily made until the unionized American cows can't keep apace of the foreign cows, producing more meat in fewer hours with horrible living conditions. Soon those damned cows will have forced their manufacturing jobs to Mexico too. Then we won't be worrying about whether or not we get supersized fries.. we'll be upset about our supersized order of Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis... with a side of asian Avian Flu McNuggets.
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAH!! :lol: :lol: :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts