Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, we finally stepped into the modern era and ditched our free 28.8 dialup. After too many hours trying to narrow down a connection issue to a bad in-wall cat5e wire, I finally got it up and running last night. :D

But now the real question: Why so (comparitively) slow?

I ran a speed check on dslreports.com this morning at 8am and only got around 800kbps down and 300kbps up. When I checked their tables on my area's performance, most people are in the 1500 to 3000 range.

Here's what I've got, in sequence, and perhaps it's a hardware/wiring issue?

Motorola Surfboard modem
SMC 7004VWBR wireless 4 port router/switch
Linksys 8 port switch
patch panel
premesis wiring
Linksys 10Mb PCI card

I'm also running a trial of Zone Alarm Pro w/ Web Filtering, but it's not much faster with that turned off (like an extra 50Mb at most).

Are there some other tests I should run to see what's going on? This doesn't seem right. :(

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Why not a 10/100 card? I noticed slower transfer rates when i had to run a 10Mb card temporarily until i could buy a new 10/100.

Anyway, nics are cheap. I'm sure some all knowing soul will have the answer for you.:)

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I wasn't sure about the nic. It's an old one I got back in 97 and figured why bother replacing something that works...especially on a home network with only 3 pc's and since cable speed is less than 3Mb.

If that's the problem, I'll definitely upgrade it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
have you tried each step individually? IE, connect the PC to the modem, then add in the router, then the switch, and finally the long cable run?

When I had an issue in my net, I did this and found that my router had a bad port and my main PC was on that port.

The 10mb card 'should' not be an issue, but who knows. Then again, wireless 11b and Cable Modems should be roughly the same speed and that certainly isn't true. You should be able to find a good 10/100 card localy on sale for about $30 or so. If it doesn't help, just return it.

You said you have 3 PCs. How is the transfer from one to another?

Once you try these things, you'll have a better idea where the issues lie. If the direct connection of the PC to the modem is just as slow, you can likely get the ISP involved. Maybe your modem is not compatible or something.

Honestly, it is really hard to diagnose without knowing how the numbers at each location.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Run the Tweak Test at dslreports

If that doesn't help, there is a Broadband Tweak forum there. Lots of expert help and FAQ's available there.

I get a steady 2500 or so with Roadrunner.

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
Yes, connect everything one at a time as GunTeach has suggested. You can narrow it down like that. When you narrow it down to a connection, then check to see if it is the cable, port, card, etc...

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to try isolating it this weekend and run some of those tests. I don't have the other two networked yet...I just acquired one of them, and the other I'm rebuilding, so I can't say at the moment. But normally the connection rate is pretty decent between them. I've never tested actual rates internally though.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After running the tweak and downloading drtcp, my connection now rocks! Up to 2.6Mbps! The wireless is really nice too since i have wireless at work and can just bring my laptop home to connect. :D

All that's left is to figure out what's wrong with the linksys switch. All but one port seem to have bitten the dust. :mad:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Some people have had problems with Linksys products. You may want to consider taking it back if you can and getting a Netgear or D-Link router instead. Some of the D-Link wireless routers that are 802.11G are upgradeable to Super-G for no extra charge. Check out D-Link's website for more information.

[edit] just noticed you already have a router. Take a look at the 10/100 or 10/100/1000 switches available from D-Link or Netgear instead. [/edit]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
pancreas
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing