Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I only paid a $100 for it, it ran great before having bought it. It was my moms and she parked it one day without gas in it and didn’t know because the fuel gauge was broke, cranked it prolly 100 times and then found out it had no gas in it:/ ik ik. Put gas in it couple days later and no crank. I can assume it needs a starter but not too sure..don’t really have much money to put into it. Has a bunch of annoying problems with it, all 4 windows won’t stay up so they were wedged in and weren’t all the way up so water probably got to the comfort module, driver side door panel is off, door locks don’t work, truck won’t open with key, clutch pedal only engages at the very very end, and back left turn signal doesn’t work. Wondering if these problems has happened to anyone else and how it fix it and/or if I should try. I’m only 16 so I don’t know a lot about working on cars yet.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
All those things are fixable and all of them have been covered here in the forums. I'd use google to find good threads, eg 'b5 passat no crank site: passatworld.com'.

BTW your car is a B5, from 2001.5-2005 they were called B5.5. There are some small differences but many things are common so keep that in mind.

First thing I'd do is fix the windows. If you're getting water in the car you will have recurring problems and the car will quickly become junk. There is probably everything you need to know about the windows here: taligentx.com: Passat - Door Lock Mechanism Repair There is a lot of extra info there too but it should help you get the windows apart so you can get them to seal up.

After that, you'll need to dry out and fix any corrosion in the CCM. There are many threads on that as well. A bad CCM can stop the car from starting, can cause the windows and door locks to not work and all sorts of other gremlins.

The clutch is probably a mechanical/hydraulic problem but if it's drive-able I would do that last.

The turn signal is probably a bulb or a fuse but I wouldn't worry about that until you get the more important stuff fixed first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All those things are fixable and all of them have been covered here in the forums. I'd use google to find good threads, eg 'b5 passat no crank site: passatworld.com'.

BTW your car is a B5, from 2001.5-2005 they were called B5.5. There are some small differences but many things are common so keep that in mind.

First thing I'd do is fix the windows. If you're getting water in the car you will have recurring problems and the car will quickly become junk. There is probably everything you need to know about the windows here: taligentx.com: Passat - Door Lock Mechanism Repair There is a lot of extra info there too but it should help you get the windows apart so you can get them to seal up.

After that, you'll need to dry out and fix any corrosion in the CCM. There are many threads on that as well. A bad CCM can stop the car from starting, can cause the windows and door locks to not work and all sorts of other gremlins.

The clutch is probably a mechanical/hydraulic problem but if it's drive-able I would do that last.

The turn signal is probably a bulb or a fuse but I wouldn't worry about that until you get the more important stuff fixed first.
Thank you, very much appreciated!

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,768 Posts
Iowegian hit it all pretty much.

Post up at least the area or state your in. There may be a member or two that can help locally.

·
Registered
141 Posts
One thing is for certain, with all that's wrong and if you attempt all of it yourself, you'll get the trial by fire education on car repair.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,562 Posts
You could try bypassing the security and clutch pedal (careful!) relays, to see if that gives you 12V to the starter.

·
Registered
28,714 Posts
If your Mom charged you $100 for the car like that, I'm shocked.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Using a jumper wire in place of the relays. Basically hardwiring and bypassing the protective circuits / functions that prevent accidental starting in the wrong condition.

Reactions: John_E

·
Registered
28,714 Posts
This writeup will be the best to follow:

This will help with fuses and relays:

Reactions: John_E

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,562 Posts
I hope I am recalling the numbers properly, but I believe fuses 8 and 14 are implicated in no-crank. I blew one of them when I installed an aftermarket mirror switch -- never again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts