Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the last week or so, my steering wheel/car has developed a wobble when driving.

I recently found out one of my tie rods was bad, and I replaced it thinking that would solve the problem, but it still shakes.

It almost feels like a 'tick'

at slow speeds, its straight then a tick, straight.. tick... etc.

Any ideas what could be causing the problem?

It sounds like its more than a wheel balance/tire problem.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Do you hear any abnormal noise? Check if both inner and outer tie rods are ok, as well as the control arms and wheel bearings. You can rotate tires to see if that changes anything, and if so then you'll know if the tires are causing it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any good way to determine if the bearing is the problem?

I don't hear any growling or rattling sounds.

My car is falling apart, and over the last few days i've alredy dropped a few hundred on new parts, and basically ever min of daylight after I get home from work working on the thing.

Its going to get traded in in the fall, but just need to keep it going a little bit longer until then.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yes, jack up the front, grab the wheel diagonally and try rocking it. A bad bearing will allow for some movement. Also watch if any movement is coming from CA and TRE joints.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds good, I'll jack it up and see what wobbles and report back. I hope its not a bearing, it sounds like a difficult and expensive job to repair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts