Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i am driving my car, especially at low speeds, both the steering wheel feels shaky and the whole car seems to be wobbly. almost feels like a bent rim, but when i rotated the tires (front to back) it didn't go away. so that basically eliminates anything with rims/tires. right? the wobbling seems to stay when i put the car in neutral and i'm still moving, so i know its nothing with the transmission/engine. I have to get the left lower control arm replaced because its been sqeeking, could that make the car feel shaky and bumpy to? :???: :p

·
Registered
146 Posts
the sqweek is a fault< but I took off the retaining ring, and I pulled back the rubber then shot it full of grease and that seemed to fix my sqweek. As for the wobble and shake check your tie rods and also check to see if the lugs are tight.

HTH :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the same problem. I had it checked by VW a few times. They said there is nothing wrong with my suspension, control arm, or tie rods. I was wondering if your car seems to shake more than usual when it is windy or when you a behind a tractor trailer? I notice that the front end wobbles a lot in these conditions.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
stop driving behind tractor trailers. :lol:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just a thought if nothing else works - I wonder if you might have some sort of tire malfunction (internal separation, etc.). Maybe get your tires spin-balanced by a quality shop to at least eliminate a possible. I've experienced separation problems (Michelins I think), and IIRC, the syptoms were sorta like yours. I've had problems getting wheels/tires balanced properly on my Audis and also several Legends, years ago. Even the dealers couldn't seem to get it right. Those cars seemed to be _very_ sensitive to _very_ slight imbalances.

HTH

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tires are basically brand new, and the ones that were on it before this seemed to do the same thing. That makes me think its not the tires. So once I get the lower control arm replaced i'm going to make sure everything is good, get them balanced (again) and I guess just deal with it. Unless someone else knows whats up? :bow:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
check for looseness in your front end, you might have some loose ball joints :sad:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the car has 95,000 miles on it. i had it checked and my independent shop said it was the balljoints that were bad, i am going to get them replaced asap. :thumbup: :b5:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
vwguru17
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing