Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe the 51333 is the well endowed oil filter, right? :)

so I look up the regular oil filters for the 1.8T and the V6

1.8T = 51393 OD=2.800 ID=2.450 Thk.=0.230

V6 = 51355 OD=2.775 ID=2.450 Thk.=0.185

big kahuna = 51333 OD=2.834 ID=2.462 Thk.=0.200

and so the OD's nor the ID's are the same as the big kahuna one. Which is the measurement that counts or doesn't it make a difference. I mean if the ID's of the two ones specifically for the passat weren't the same, I wouldn't notice the how the other wasn't.

What is the correct WIX (bigger one) for the V6, is bascally what I'm asking? Thanks guys :) or are we not allowed to carry even more fluid with big kahuna's in V6 passats :wink:

·
Registered
28,876 Posts
Don't know that you need it. The 1.8T only carries about 4qts. The V6 over 6.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Are you posting the sizes of the filter gaskets? Must be; the WIX 51333 that I have in my hand is 3.75" in diameter. I bought mine for a 1.8T; I think the point is lost on the V6. No turbo + larger sump = lower oil temps than 1.8T so there really isn't a coking problem.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
No better than OEM. Mobil doesn't make filters. IIRC, the Mobil 1 is made by Champion Labs. There isn't anything wrong with it, but it isn't anything special. No need to pay a premium over the OEM (which is a quite nice filter.)

SirWired

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
turtle said:
The important dimension that you miss is is the filter's height. Although close in diameter, the 51333 is much taller than the others.
Turtle, my question is a fit question. it doesn't affect the fit that the diameters aren't exactly the same. I realize that the other is taller, but that's not a factor in determining fit (unless it doesn't fit in the space that it takes up under the hood)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.