Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could be a stupid question, but I am new in this world and a little confused.
Witch motor is the fastest, a 2.8 V6, or the 1.8T or another model?
I ask because I can read in the specifications that the V6 have 194hp, and the 1.8T is about 150hp, but some articles in this forum indicates that the 1.8T will eat the V6.
And how much different will the top speed be between a variant and a sedan version? :roll:

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
The 1.8t can be chipped to exceed the V6 specification. There are warranty considerations, and you generally have to stiffen the suspension to handle the additional horsepower and torque. In fact, you can plan on maintanence costs increasing in general as a result of chipping. However, it makes the car a good deal more fun to drive.

Regards,

Kenny

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Thsi one:

Sorry...couldn't resist. :lol:

About the top speed, the car (variant or sedan) is pretty unstable at ridiculously high speeds due to aerodynamic lift, so if you regularly plan to visit the maximum limit of your car, I'd look into something else...

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Newer Passats (after 2001 or something) have 170HP. With a chip you can add a lot more HP and Torque to that, making more than the V6.

And since the chipped 1.8T can make more HP and Torque than the V6, and it's lighter than the V6, it'll go a little faster.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Kenny Payne said:
The 1.8t can be chipped to exceed the V6 specification. There are warranty considerations, and you generally have to stiffen the suspension to handle the additional horsepower and torque. In fact, you can plan on maintanence costs increasing in general as a result of chipping. However, it makes the car a good deal more fun to drive.

Regards,

Kenny
I'm doing perfectly find on the stock wheels/tires/suspension on my 2003 GIAC chipped Passat.

Where are these increased maintanence costs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having owned both the V6 and 1.8T Passats, I'd have to say that the 1.8 (as a lighter car) is a lot more fun to drive. If I were buying new, I'd get the TDI for the best economy... and then there is the W8, for the greatest horsepower.

·
Registered
897 Posts
The European Passats with the 1.8T engines are rated at 150hp, not 170hp like all other North American 1.8T Passats. So the Euro V6 with 193 hp will be quicker than the Euro 1.8T with 150hp. Its the Euro only V5 (2.3 15 degree 'V' 5 clinder engine) that has the 170hp.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, understand what you mean.
I never drew a 1.8T, but think my V6 syncro is a nice ride, even though it’s a bit heavy, it rides both highway curves and mountain roads with a god grip and strong acceleration.
And yes the TDI is more economic, but the noise and the difference in power is not good enough, the diesel thing sucks.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=84450

Check out my thread I just put up yesterday!

We went to the track to see our 1/4 miles times, I have the V6 30V with an Intake, Exhaust, and GIAC ECU & GIAC Tip Chip, Dan who I was racing have just his car chipped, I believe the ecu and tip chip. He has the 1.8T.

We raced each other about 4-5 times, and I did beat him all those times. Although some of his times are quicker, I did beat him. Mind you I am NOT rubbing my victories in, I am just saying, becuase you are asking which motor is faster.

May I say I was intimatated racing against Dan becuase I thought he would kill me!

To throw this is, I beat a Honda Accord with 240hp, and my car does have about 20-25hp less then that Honda! I dont know if Dan would have been able to beat him or not!

Rich :wink:

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Yes I do have Tip in my car, in fact both Dan with the 1.8T and I did!

So you tell who is faster? Yeah he got faster times, I got faster off the line

I enjoyed every race against Dan, I think Dans car was very fast and gave me a run for my money!

Thanks for racing me Dan, you a great guy bro :thumbup:

Rich :wink:

·
Registered
47 Posts
stealthx32 said:
About the top speed, the car (variant or sedan) is pretty unstable at ridiculously high speeds due to aerodynamic lift, so if you regularly plan to visit the maximum limit of your car, I'd look into something else...
pardon,

This car, like all german cars, was engineered FOR THE GERMAN market, the market with the highest speeds being driven regularly.
Approx. 40% of all german "Vielfahrer", that means people who have to make a great "Autobahn"-milage for business reasons are driving Passat ( mostly TDI, of course), and esp. these drivers are always driving as if they'd see the devil in the rear mirror. If this car would have Probs at high speeds, they wouldn't use it and it probably wouldn't be on stock any more.

If you are looking for a car, that gets unstable at high speeds, you just have to buy a US-car, or a JAP designed esp. for the US-market ( i.e. all this LEXUS-crap .... ). We just call them not "vollgasfest", cause they are designed for max. 80 mph or so.

stealth, did you ever go faster than 80 mph in your Passat for a longer period ? :D It will be stable, believe me !

greets,

der
KolbenFresser

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hear hear, i just went to France and back last month, and the trip from Freiburg to Flensburg was a blast in my new ride, i went easy 180-200 kmh for hours, no problem, even in rain, and the car was never unstabel 8)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Passat CPH said:
And yes the TDI is more economic, but the noise and the difference in power is not good enough, the diesel thing sucks.
hi,

The TDI's are ideal for the US-market : High milages at low speed.
The torque of a TDI outperforms every comparable Gasoline-engine, the absolute number of hp is irrelevant, if you want ( or have to ..) drive about 60 mph for hours and hours and hours .....

The significant decrease in fuel consumption may save thousands ot tons of Oil for the US and the world from another war ....

mfg

der
KolbenFresser

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
your right, lets all change to TDIs and save the world :wink:
but I do agree in your point, the fuel consumption on the V6 is a killer, and their will be a day where the big motors is history..
and yes, torque roules :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.