Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 passat wagon 1.8t
On the harness coming out of my new ccm there seems to be a wire that has nowhere to go, does anyone know what the red wire does?, no stripes on it just red

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,974 Posts
The solid red wire should be for the ignition switch. You can't find the other end anywhere?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The solid red wire should be for the ignition switch. You can't find the other end anywhere?
I've been looking every time I go back to work on the car and I haven't found another solid red wire anywhere, if it's for the ignition then how does the car still start?

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,974 Posts
It goes to the ignition switch. Power comes FROM the switch to the CCM to keep it powered up for accessory power. The Red/Blue wire is the main power input to the CCM connected to Fuse 14.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Can you see the pin number that it connects to? The numbers should be molded in to the connectors (hard to see, though).

Per Bentley schematic 82/10, the 1.0 mm2 red/blue wire connects to the 23-pin connector position 22, function as VAGguy describes above.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It goes to the ignition switch. Power comes FROM the switch to the CCM to keep it powered up for accessory power. The Red/Blue wire is the main power input to the CCM connected to Fuse 14.
That red/blue wire was corroded but now that I reconnected it I can hear a clicking coming from the ccm when I turn the car on. Could I run a wire to the ignition or would it be easier to tap it into a fuse for accessory power.ive been messing with the ccm for a while, I got the car for $200 with water damage, the lights on the doors worked when I got it now I rewired everything and plugged the ccm back in and now I have no lights on the doors but it knows that there open and i can open the gas cap again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you see the pin number that it connects to? The numbers should be molded in to the connectors (hard to see, though).

Per Bentley schematic 82/10, the 1.0 mm2 red/blue wire connects to the 23-pin connector position 22, function as VAGguy describes above.

It looks to be the one right above the 18 spot

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
So, that makes it pin 17.
Per Bentley schematic 51/13, that red wire indeed wires to terminal 86s of the ignition switch.

But not in your car... there were a few minor changes from May 2003 build dates on, most notably the elimination of the starter interlock relay previously powered by the CCM (and the cause of oh so many No Crank situations).

Schematic 82 applies to Passats built May 2003 on, and that wire simply doesn't exist.

So, that means your new CCM came from an older Passat. I would insulate the wire and see if everything works.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, that makes it pin 17.
Per Bentley schematic 51/13, that red wire indeed wires to terminal 86s of the ignition switch.

But not in your car... there were a few minor changes from May 2003 build dates on, most notably the elimination of the starter interlock relay previously powered by the CCM (and the cause of oh so many No Crank situations).

Schematic 82 applies to Passats built May 2003 on, and that wire simply doesn't exist.

So, that means your new CCM came from an older Passat. I would insulate the wire and see if everything works.
Well you see the lights and and locks worked before I connected a yellow and green wire , then I connected an orange and brown wire to 4 other of the same color. Right after that all the red button lights stopped working now I have no locks or windows and my hatch doesnt have any power. I do have all my interior lights and my sunroof works.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The orange/brown & orange/lilac twisted pair is the Comfort Canbus. The CCM, four door modules, instrument cluster, radio, and a few other things depending on trim level communicate via this Canbus.

It's important to maintain the twist in the Canbus wiring. Still, it seems odd that a Canbus wiring issue would prevent the door locks & windows, etc, from working independently, unless you blew a fuse.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The orange/brown & orange/lilac twisted pair is the Comfort Canbus. The CCM, four door modules, instrument cluster, radio, and a few other things depending on trim level communicate via this Canbus.

It's important to maintain the twist in the Canbus wiring. Still, it seems odd that a Canbus wiring issue would prevent the door locks & windows, etc, from working independently, unless you blew a fuse.
Why is them being twisted important? And I've checked all the fuses in the dash none of them seem to be blown.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Canbus is a serial communication bus which operates at 125 Kbps (maybe faster). The two wires are a differential pair; the voltage difference between them, which is only a couple of volts, signals either a 0 or a 1. It has to be able to change rapidly.

The twist cancels out electrical interference from outside sources; keeping them close together reduces the capacitance between the two wires.

The "Physical" section of the Wikipedia "CAN bus" article will probably tell you more than you ever wanted to know.

As far as fixing the issue: do the windows, etc., work if you unplug the CCM connectors?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Canbus is a serial communication bus which operates at 125 Kbps (maybe faster). The two wires are a differential pair; the voltage difference between them, which is only a couple of volts, signals either a 0 or a 1. It has to be able to change rapidly.

The twist cancels out electrical interference from outside sources; keeping them close together reduces the capacitance between the two wires.

The "Physical" section of the Wikipedia "CAN bus" article will probably tell you more than you ever wanted to know.

As far as fixing the issue: do the windows, etc., work if you unplug the CCM connectors?
The windows haven't worked since I bought the car the only thing that worked were the lights on the doors like the red glow on the window switch, now the sunroof and interior lights work but not the windows or red lights on the doors, even if I unplug the ccm

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The windows haven't worked since I bought the car the only thing that worked were the lights on the doors like the red glow on the window switch, now the sunroof and interior lights work but not the windows or red lights on the doors, even if I unplug the ccm

After looking a little bit more at the wiring I found that the orange and purple wires are all blacked out inside does this mean the wires are fried? Or is this how there supposed to look?.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
That's oxidation, which is non-conductive. You'll have to clean it off with very fine sandpaper of Scotchbrite.
Remember to maintain the twist in the orange/lilac orange/brown pair as close as possible to the splice.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,542 Posts
That's oxidation, which is non-conductive. You'll have to clean it off with very fine sandpaper of Scotchbrite.Remember to maintain the twist in the orange/lilac orange/brown pair as close as possible to the splice.
After cleaning using a thin layer of dielectric grease on them would prevent oxidization for a good period of time.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,974 Posts
Preferably, you should be splicing with solder and waterproof heat shrink tubing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Preferably, you should be splicing with solder and waterproof heat shrink tubing.
Alright thank you, I was wondering though since this was mostly all cut apart when I got it do all the orange/brown wires stay in one splice and the orange/lilac in a separate one?

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,974 Posts
Correct. All of the ORG/BRN are connected together and all the ORG/VIO are connected together in a separate splice. They are the data bus lines that go to the various modules in the car, so think of the splices as a distribution hub of each color.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Correct. All of the ORG/BRN are connected together and all the ORG/VIO are connected together in a separate splice. They are the data bus lines that go to the various modules in the car, so think of the splices as a distribution hub of each color.
Alright thank you very much hopefully I can get this sorted out tomorrow. I'll letcha know how it goes ?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts