Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that the Metra 70-1784 and 40-VW53 are what I need to swap my factory HU with a new Blaupunkt. I just need to make sure this is alright with the Monsoon.. (2000 B5)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like you have the right stuff: one harness is for power, illumination, ground and speaker connections, the other should be the antenna adaptor.

Couple of things to keep in mind w/ the monsoon system 1) don't hook up the infamous "k-wire" 2) this is not a straight forward install.

The radio does not send power to the speakers, the monsoon amp does. Therefore, you have a couple of options. You can run new speaker wires from the harness direcetly into the doors for the 4 midrange and tweeters. You can split the wire to each door and do not really need to run a separate wire for your tweeters. Your new head unit is not really designed to power up the factory monsoon amp. You could trace the wires, but even if you get the connections right, you are not likely to get a good sound. Factory amps and speakers are usually balance and run of 1/4 to 1 ohm as opposed to aftermarket equipment which runs off 4. You would need a special high current amplifier if you want to power the factory speakers with an aftermarket radio and get anywhere near a decent sound.

Don't mean to discourage you, but if you want to install a new head unit, you should be prepared to replace the speakers in the doors as well. If you're going to do a replacement for sure be ready to spend enough money to at least duplicate the monsoon sound. You will need high quality 6.5s or a 6.5 component set with crossovers and a high quality amp to duplicate the factory sound. Then, you may still want to add a subwoofer.

Good luck and let me know if you have questions.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Actually the Mosoon HU and the non-Monsoon HU are exactly the same. The HU sends an amplified signal into the Monsoon amp and the amp amplifies it even farther AND has the speaker's crossover built into it. Bypassing the amp is a huge PITA. Just install the HU like you would normally and you should be fine.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
quality_sound said:
Actually the Mosoon HU and the non-Monsoon HU are exactly the same. The HU sends an amplified signal into the Monsoon amp and the amp amplifies it even farther AND has the speaker's crossover built into it. Bypassing the amp is a huge PITA. Just install the HU like you would normally and you should be fine.

Paul :thumbup:
Yes, what he said!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JokerPassat said:
If you switch the ign. 12v wire and the constant 12v wire in the factory radio harness you won't even need to wire up anything else. Everything will be plug and play including the antenna and the preamp output plug on the radio. A very simple install!
So you're saying I don't really need the extra harness or antenna adapter if I just swap the two 12v's?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
DocJ
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing