Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

wiring color code for taillights

11K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  lovelauren663 
#1 ·
Installed trailer hitch 04 passat 4-motion, manual wagon. Does anybody the the color code for the wiring ? Left & right turn signal, brake and running lights. I could not find anything on any forum with the color code. I think there's one there, but the bucket picts link is not working. I can figure it out, but knowing what it is will be easier Thanks

#2 ·
Brake: red/black
Left turn: black/white
Right turn: black/green
Ground: brown

Parking lights (running lights) are a little trickier... left, right, and license plate are all separate circuits, each fused at 5 amps:
Left park: gray/black
Right park: gray/red
License plate: gray/yellow

The license plate circuit probably has the least load, so you could possibly use it if your trailer only has a few lights (and if they're LEDs). The ideal approach would be to install a relay with the coil wired to the license plate circuit and the contacts wired to a separately fused power source for the trailer marker lights.

I'm not sure what the typical practice is for the marker lights--hopefully someone else will chime in. (In Europe, the trailer would have the left, right, and license plate wired separately, with extra pins in the connector.)

Edit: your car being a wagon, the license plate light wire will be more work to locate, since it's in the "rear lid", as Bentley calls it.

Ref: Bentley schematic 48.

#6 ·
Brake: red/black Left turn: black/white Right turn: black/green Ground: brown Parking lights (running lights) are a little trickier... left, right, and license plate are all separate circuits, each fused at 5 amps: Left park: gray/black Right park: gray/red License plate: gray/yellow The license plate circuit probably has the least load, so you could possibly use it if your trailer only has a few lights (and if they're LEDs). The ideal approach would be to install a relay with the coil wired to the license plate circuit and the contacts wired to a separately fused power source for the trailer marker lights. I'm not sure what the typical practice is for the marker lights--hopefully someone else will chime in. (In Europe, the trailer would have the left, right, and license plate wired separately, with extra pins in the connector.) Edit: your car being a wagon, the license plate light wire will be more work to locate, since it's in the "rear lid", as Bentley calls it. Ref: Bentley schematic 48.
I’m trying to hookup a whole new bake lights and I have spiled all my wires they all work correctly but I have 3 wires extra on my back passenger side. I have a brown and green one that share a thick wire coating on the outside then I have a little green wire by itself can anyone tell me how to hook them in with the back lights

#7 ·
Your forum out me out so much with installing my new brake lights. I hooked up a whole new brake lights on my Passat wagon. I have spliced all my wires they all work correctly but I have 3 wires extra wires on my back passenger side which I think the alarm system is on that side with my lights. I have a brown and green one that share a thick wire coating on the outside then I have a little green wire by itself can anyone tell me how to hook them in with the back lights. I have included pictures of the wires the I have left. Not sure where to put them in at can someone help?
L
Circuit component Computer hardware Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Electronic component
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.