Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed trailer hitch 04 passat 4-motion, manual wagon. Does anybody the the color code for the wiring ? Left & right turn signal, brake and running lights. I could not find anything on any forum with the color code. I think there's one there, but the bucket picts link is not working. I can figure it out, but knowing what it is will be easier Thanks

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Brake: red/black
Left turn: black/white
Right turn: black/green
Ground: brown

Parking lights (running lights) are a little trickier... left, right, and license plate are all separate circuits, each fused at 5 amps:
Left park: gray/black
Right park: gray/red
License plate: gray/yellow

The license plate circuit probably has the least load, so you could possibly use it if your trailer only has a few lights (and if they're LEDs). The ideal approach would be to install a relay with the coil wired to the license plate circuit and the contacts wired to a separately fused power source for the trailer marker lights.

I'm not sure what the typical practice is for the marker lights--hopefully someone else will chime in. (In Europe, the trailer would have the left, right, and license plate wired separately, with extra pins in the connector.)

Edit: your car being a wagon, the license plate light wire will be more work to locate, since it's in the "rear lid", as Bentley calls it.

Ref: Bentley schematic 48.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dit: your car being a wagon, the license plate light wire will be more work to locate, since it's in the "rear lid", as Bentley calls it.

It's located on passenger side, in right compartment, on top.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts