Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at getting winter tires for a few months now. Unfortunately, we can't really afford a set right now.

What are your thoughts on winter tires? Do you have a set? Or do you just buy quality all-seasons? If you DO buy winter tires, do you have separate rims?

How much did you pay recently for your winter tires?

Unless we come into some money somehow, it looks like we'll be sticking with our (fairly new) A/S tires this year and replacing them next fall with A/S again.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I run on a set of Dunlop Wintersports on steel wheels for the winter. I've always used dedicated winter tires on all my cars but it is not a necessity.

If your budget doesn't allow you to get winter tires, you should be okay with good all season tires. Btw, if your tires are fairly new, why do you need to replace them again in the Fall?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I bought a set of 4 Nokia Hakkapeliita for $100. Found them advertised for sale in a local swap/sale publication called Uncle Henry's. Tires had been used one winter on an Accord and the owner sold the car. I expect to get at lesst two more winters on them. You could find similar. Check craigslist and other ads bcause there are good deals on slightly used.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I run on a set of Dunlop Wintersports on steel wheels for the winter. I've always used dedicated winter tires on all my cars but it is not a necessity.

If your budget doesn't allow you to get winter tires, you should be okay with good all season tires. Btw, if your tires are fairly new, why do you need to replace them again in the Fall?

He lives in Nova Scotia where light snow means only one foot.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I used the all season's for two upstate NY winters, and then went to Blizzaks for the winter season. After a couple of years, I just did not feel safe with the all season.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Last year for my passat, I purchased 4 Blizzak WS-50s 195/65/15s. They were excellent. I paid roughly 500$ US. Not cheap, but i went through www.tirerack.com and i bought those 4 tires with the basic steel rims. It is such an improvement, that just last week, I bought a set for my Jetta. This time i got the new and improved Blizzak Revo 1's, the same size,. and paid 544$ US and they will be sent to my front door with 4 steel rims as well.

These tires are not cheap, an alternative is not to buy the steel rims, instead buy the tires only, and find a place to have them mounted and balanced to your current rims. OR you can search local ads for used, but still good snow tires, this can save you alot of money.

Best of luck

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He lives in Nova Scotia where light snow means only one foot.
:) You got it. Haha. I wouldn't risk two winters on these A/S. They are decent, but our winters can be pretty nasty and I wouldn't feel safe on 2-year-old A/S on the icy roads.

Two of my friends have fathers who work at Michelin, so I'm hoping to get some coupons. Winter tires would really help here. I do live in the city though, so it's not as bad as it could be if I lived in a rural area, like where I grew up.

I think putting quality A/S on every 1.5-2 years would be fine though.

Thanks for the head's up on used ones. I checked a local forsale group on Google Groups and I just missed out on a $200 set of barely used Michelin winters. Dammit!

·
Registered
358 Posts
That kinda sucks that you cant afford them, the difference between an All season and a winter is remarkable. The winter set obviously is more focused on the winter, and the A/S can cut corners, and not be even in all aspects whether winter/summer..

anyways, goodluck, hopefully you can get some coupons, or discounts but, really try hard for them they are absolutely worth it

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Winter tires will make your summer tires last longer. If you can get a set of steel rims for less than the price of 2 or 3 remounts then you'll be ahead. Salvage yards usually have decent deals on wheels.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Once you experience a winter on winter rubber, you won't want to go back to A/S.

As mentioned above, winter tires make the other ones last longer. There are people selling them in many places, even the Classifieds here. For example, a set of Nokian WRs in excellent shape mounted on alloys (although probably not the best choice for winter rims) was just offered for $500.

If you can get through this season with what you have, start throwing your loose change in the jar by the bed every night. You'll have enough for some winter tires next year.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I bought Dunlop SP Wintersport M3s (rated #1) from Tirerack for $77 each in the 195/65-15 size. I think that is a great price. I got them mounted on my stock Wellingtons. $356 installed!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also have a set of Nokian winter tires. I bought 4 Audi/VW 15" steel wheels from the Tire Rack and took them to a local garage and bought Hakkapellitta Qs to mount. They've been great. Unfortunately, Nokian doesn't make them now. My VW came with 16" wheels/tires. However, to reduce cost and, generally, improve handling it is recommended to drop down a size for your winter setup.

Oh yeah...cost. I think something like $600.

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
Thing is he lives somewhere that he can get good use out of a set of dedicated winter tires. I got tired of buying Blizzaks etc only to watch them wear away each winter with only 2 or 3 really good snowfalls. They're great in the snow; give me the snow to enjoy em in!

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Check WalMart for the Dunlops they carry .. I got them and they are great in the snow and low $$$ ...

BTW guys WalMart up here carries different stuff

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
I always use snow tires. Had Winter Sport M3's and Blizzak LM-25's. Highly recommend both.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
only 2 or 3 really good snowfalls. They're great in the snow; give me the snow to enjoy em in!
Haha. I never thought I'd see someone wanting MORE snow.. :)

We had a really mild winter last year, and this year has been the same so far. Unfortunately, it's mild most of the time and then we get a few ridiculously huge storms with several feet of snow and lots of freezing rain and without snow tires, those days are a write-off for a lot of people.

Haven't needed the extra traction yet, but I'm sure it's coming.

Check WalMart for the Dunlops they carry .. I got them and they are great in the snow and low $$$ ...

BTW guys WalMart up here carries different stuff
Thanks for the tip. Just checked my flyer and found these:

Dunlop Graspic DS-1
Premium Winter Radial Tire

$96.98CAD each
Includes installation, flat repair, road hazard warranty, rotation every 10k

So, around $442CAD in total (around $385USD). Not too bad. They have gotten some decent reviews.

·
Registered
828 Posts
the Graspic's are great in the snow, even on a lighter car like the Celica we had them on.

That said, I won't comment on how quiet they are nor how they perform when the roads are dry (understand, they were on a Celica, not a family car).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey fellow Maritimer, what's up?

The Graspics at Wall Mart are right on. My buddy has them on his Golf TDI and loves them.

I just picked up the Dunlop Graspic DS-2 and they are excellent. Had them in the storm (yeah, the one that you got dumped on the other Monday) and I put about 600kms in the storm and they are fine. For whatever reason though, they don't improve visibility, or remove the others off the roads.

But, there's just something about driving at 100kms/hr on the highway and everything is white, like EVERYTHING and your just keeping it between the telephone poles.

BTW, my tire dealer told me that the difference between the Dunlop DS-1 and DS-2 is that the latter is the current model.

Coast Tire, approx. $500 with everything.

Good luck!
-Mitch

99 Passat 1.8T
04 XC70 AWD
69 Triumph GT6+

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey fellow Maritimer, what's up?

The Graspics at Wall Mart are right on. My buddy has them on his Golf TDI and loves them.
Howdy, neighbour. :)

The only bad thing I've heard (and read, like from 2KT above) was that the Dunlops are kind of noisy on dry roads and they don't perform extremely well in turns.

But I honestly don't think either of those would be bad enough or noticeable enough for me to not want them on my car, especially for the price.

Looks like December will be pretty dry, so we're going to wait until the new year and see what the money situation is looking like. I also want to see just how bad my A/S are in the snow.

But if we go the winter route, we'll be getting the Dunlops from Coast Tire or Wal-Mart, whichever place has the best deal on the total package. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts