Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T S
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you who live where they dump loads of salt and sand on the roads, how long after after a storm do you wash your car. There is still a lot of salt on the roads even a week or two after it has snowed. I try to wash it after there is no salt on the roads anymore. What is the point of taking it into a car wash if a bunch of salt is going to get everywhere right after.

P.S. -Tip for anyone washing their car, make sure it is well above 32 degrees Fahrenheit whether you wash it at home or take it to a car wash or you will turn your car into a popsicle.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,956 Posts
I would wash it when the road is mostly dry. Even though you may hit wet spots here and there, you'll be mostly salt free until you drive in full wet again.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
For those of you who live where they dump loads of salt and sand on the roads, how long after after a storm do you wash your car. There is still a lot of salt on the roads even a week or two after it has snowed. I try to wash it after there is no salt on the roads anymore. What is the point of taking it into a car wash if a bunch of salt is going to get everywhere right after.

P.S. -Tip for anyone washing their car, make sure it is well above 32 degrees Fahrenheit whether you wash it at home or take it to a car wash or you will turn your car into a popsicle.
When I lived in WI I used to wash my car all the time in the dead of winter. Used to wash it 2 times a week on average. More when it was sloppy out. I have my own heated pressure washer.
After washing I used to rub down the door seals so the door wouldn't get frozen shut.

Reactions: Coache1nine

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I would wash it when the road is mostly dry. Even though you may hit wet spots here and there, you'll be mostly salt free until you drive in full wet again.
You've never been in WI, MN or IL. They pour salt on the roads like it's gravel. The sides of your car will be completely white within 2 days.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,956 Posts
You've never been in WI, MN or IL. They pour salt on the roads like it's gravel. The sides of your car will be completely white within 2 days.
Even though that's where one of our offices is (MSP), no. Never will, at least in winter. But, at least around here, there are times when the snow melts a little and dries up. Then all you are left with is puddles and runoff across spots. That's what I'm speaking about.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Although it is late in the season, one tip is to always leave your windows rolled down slightly. When they freeze, it is easier to roll them up to break them free as opposed to trying to overcome that rubber weatherstrip by rolling them down

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even if the road dries up there's still mounds of salt all over the roads and everywhere else. Your car will be salted right back up on the way home from the car wash.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I lived in WI I used to wash my car all the time in the dead of winter. Used to wash it 2 times a week on average. More when it was sloppy out. I have my own heated pressure washer.
After washing I used to rub down the door seals so the door wouldn't get frozen shut.
Do you wash under the car?

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Even if the road dries up there's still mounds of salt all over the roads and everywhere else. Your car will be salted right back up on the way home from the car wash.
Got that right.

Do you wash under the car?
I used to yes. I made an attachment that hooked onto the end of the hose that I could roll under the car.
It was basically a 6foot pipe with a spray bar at the end, mounted to a set of rollers so I could just roll it back and forth under the car. Kinda like you would push a vacuum cleaner around.
The spray bar had a set of nozzles pointed straight up so it could flush the bottom side of the car. Very affective with a few hundred pounds of pressure and around 200 degree water temp.

Reactions: IMr4n

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
This is almost identical to what I made.

Reactions: IMr4n
1 - 11 of 11 Posts