Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted im the tire section, but not getting feedback from anyone... Thought id try here too.

I'm new to VW and to my Passat. It's 2010 Wagon highline, 6spd

I'm going to need winter tires and would like to get rims (steel if possible) for winter. Can I put on 16" rims even if my stock ones are the 18"'s ?

Will it be too much sidewall? What size should I be looking at putting on if the 16"s fit?

Thanks

S.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, I will try and find chart that cross references sizes, what size are your 18 inch tires?
They are 235/40/80.

Thanks for the help.... I found websites that you can compare tire sizes etc... I am more concerned about the drive ability of the car... Tire flex and how more sidewall can/will negatively impact the road handling and road stability.

S.

·
Registered
2007 B6 Passat 2.0T, 1994 E36 M3 3.0L, 2004 Silverado Z71 5.3L
113 Posts
I'm surprised your Passat wagon comes with 18" wheels but it's not an issue, the brake calipers are the same on your wagon as those applications that fit 16" wheels so it should not be a problem to fit 16" wheels. VW factory tire size of choice for 18" rims is 225/40R18 which means you want a 205/55R16 for your 16" wheels. The 205/55R16 is a tall and narrower tire with a beefy sidewall. As long as you don't plan on lowering your cars suspension then they will fit fine. You want a tall and narrow tire, with a beefy sidewall, for winter because the narrower tire bites into the snow more and is much more resistant to sliding which is what happens with wider, lower profile tires on snow. Wide, low tires are effectively ice skates in severe enough winter conditions. You also want that beefy sidewall to absorb impacts if you live in an area where potholes are bad in the winter like I do.

I would highly recommend Dunlop Wintersport 3D in 205/55R16. I ran the same on my Passat when I used to drive it in the Winter and these tires cannot be beat for the price in my opinion. There are definitely better Winter tires out there but not for the price. The Wintersport 3D are (or at least they were a couple years ago) extremely well priced and they were unstoppable in the snow. I got to be so confident in them I would drive down snowy backroads at night as if there was no snow on the ground with no problem. I had a deer jump out in front of me on one such straight section of a back road while I was driving 60-70mph on fresh snow; I literally did a tight swerve around the deer to dodge it and the tires didn't loose traction for a second. I had to trust them with my life in that instance and I frankly thought I was gonna go off the road and hit a tree, I was bracing for it. But it never happened. Great tires! If they are discontinued by now (I haven't looked for them in a couple years) then the Wintersport 4D is their successor. Never used the 4D myself but if the 3D is still around just get that.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure if you happen to be located anywhere near West Chester, PA but I have my winter wheels set for sale for cheap if you need a set.

Edit 2: I see that you just posted your tire size when I was in the middle of making my first reply. Keep in mind, I'm 99.9% sure those 235/40R18 are actually NOT the factory size your car was designed and calibrated for. VW speedo/odo are calibrated for 225/40R18, I'm pretty sure in all cases, and if you have 235/40R18 then that was put on by a shop. Not a problem as it is very close match. Just know that the 205/55R16 will still be the best option if the speedo/odo are calibrated for the circumference of a 225/40R18 as I believe they are. If I am wrong and 235/40R18 is indeed the factory size and calibration (which would be unique to only Wagons if that is the case) then then 205/55R16 is still a close match. It won't change your speedo or odo all that much. Speedo will be a bit lower than actual speed. Conversely you could do a 205/60R16 which would be a little bit on the other end, speed a bit higher than what it is. Still quite close.

The absolute closest match to a 235/40R18 would be a 215/55R16 which is almost perfect match but, again, the objective of winter tires is to be narrow and tall. The 215 is wider of course. Still should be suitable though. You can't really go wrong with any of those options.

As for driving characteristics, you don't have anything to worry about, you just won't be able to corner as aggressively as you would on the 235/40R18 tires you are used to and the turn-in/steering responsiveness will be a bit more floaty and vague. That's par for the course with winter tires. It is what it is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately I am not close to purchase the used tires... I would totally!

Yes they are 18"...

Thanks for the info about wheel fitment... It helps out alot

S.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.