Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the last of the Zender rear deck spoiler was removed today; a whack with a mini-sledge (against a rubber mallet between the winglet and sledge) helped remove the stubborn little sh!t.

Recap of why I did this: a couple of months ago, the passenger side winglet fell off. Simply fell and a 1/2" chuck broke off. If that wasn't enough, only 1/3 of the main section was still adhering to the trunk. The driver side winglet seemed to be the only one that was glue on well (I did the install some 3 years ago).

I spent a good 3 hours with my fingernails and a lot of Bug-Tar remover to get off all of the semi-hardened adheasive. Just time consuming more than anything else. And now that it's off, I now see why I like the rear of the car so much in stock form. Helps that it's debadged from the letters.

If anyone is interested in the Zender, you can have it. I won't be putting it back on. In all likelyhood, I'll just trash it unless someone locally in S.F. want's it. Just come by and pick it up in the next week or so.

·
Registered
268 Posts
where are the rims and tires for $200?

oh, btw, sorry about the spoiler Herman. Hey, I never thanked you for putting up the pictures of the lowering job you did on your car. They came in handy. Between you and David helping me out, I'm pretty satisfied with my FK drop. I just picked up a compressor last week and promptly installed my new Autotech rear swaybar. That's the last time I ever do a suspension job with hand tools. :cry: Thanks again. I have your site bookmarked so that I can get a hand when needed. Enjoy the bare look on the trunk.

Dennis

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's cool. Scuba wants it. :) But I'll take pics first so he and eveyone else can see the damage to the winglet and all the adheasive on the back.

The next thing to go will probably be the Oettinger front soiler. I is a nice spoiler but the way I abused it, I should of never bought it in the first place. :( But for a moment, it sure did look good on my car! :)

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Yeah, I struggle with whether to add front and/or rear aero devices. The car looks so clean w/o them... so far I have resisted. If I had money, it would be harder to resist... :)

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Great Herman, I am in the middle of getting mine all painted and now I read this little horror story! :shock: :nervous: :nervous: :shock: :sad: :sad:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I am local. heheh Maybe I want it.

j/k send it off to Steve He always seems to get free stuff... :lol:

Pete

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
just kidding again.
I was referencing something I sent you for free last year....

Pete

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steve, I forgot all about the little damaged wing today; got real busy at work but I'll try to remember tomorrow!

Chas you fool! Didn't you learn already from the manifold debacle; now you're following my foot steps on the Zender rear!??? Take pics when you do. And use the 3M Heavy Duty adheasive instead!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
HermanH said:
And use the 3M Heavy Duty adheasive instead!!!!
Are you referring to the tape, or a glue? I still have one of these spoilers sitting in the box waiting to be painted and installed, hopefully this summer.

Steve

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
HermanH said:
Steve, I forgot all about the little damaged wing today; got real busy at work but I'll try to remember tomorrow!

Chas you fool! Didn't you learn already from the manifold debacle; now you're following my foot steps on the Zender rear!??? Take pics when you do. And use the 3M Heavy Duty adheasive instead!!!!
Herman, at least I didn't dent my hood while installing the APR Snub Mount! :p :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :wink: :cry:

As for the adheasive, I was thinking about the same stuff I used to hold on my Kamie front spoiler wings. It's a product made by 3M for holding windshields in place. They call it Windo Weld. Damn sticky stuff that is. The body shop I take my cars to told me about this stuff a while back. They use it for all sorts of stuff like body kits. :shock: My Spoilers are still on the car more than 3 years later. It's really wicked nasty stuff.

Just don't get it on anything else you don't want stuck to something else. Which reminds me, I need to get the 3M General Adheasive remover back from my mother. That's the only stuff that will desolve the Windo Weld. :shock: :nervous:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
12 Participants
Bmpassat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing