Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I need some clarification about WinElsa electrical diagram explanation. I am attaching one part from the diagram for the sake of better understanding. On each wire some numbers are written, example 1,0; 4,0; 0,5. What do this numbers mean, at first I thought this is wire cross-section, but then I say that there is also 16,0? :)

Also, there are two symbols in circle: 28 and 156. In information it is written that they are earth connection. Does this mean that two wires, left and right of symbol 28 are connected to earth? I see that all for wires are parallel, so all of them are connected to earth basically, but I need to know which one exactly, since there could be a case that wires are not connected in parallel.

Thanks,
Goran

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had to pull away from the Super Bowl to answer this...
In regards to the wiring diagram you listed: the 1,0 0,5 and 4,0 fields refer to the wire diameter 1.0mm, 0.5mm, 4.0mm etc. The 28 and 156 with the circles refers to the connectors that the wires go to. These are usually detailed with more information on the right column of the diagram. The square boxes around the numbers 17, 113, 118 refer to continuations of the circuit on other pages. When reading wiring diagrams, the top rail is usually power and the bottom rail is ground. Brown wires are ground and red (with tracer colors, usually) are power. The other colors are usually signals but it varies. VAG wiring diagrams are very easy to read (compared to Jap and American) once you get familiar with them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, this is a very old topic, but I will try here before create another. Im not sure about this symbol. I think that it is ground, and all black wires connects to it. can anyone clarify my doubt?

Symbol.gif

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
That indicates a shielded wire, and the shield is typically connected to ground. It is NOT used as the ground conductor, however.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts