Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday morning there was alot of water on the windshield which is normal of course. Went to turn on the wipers and they get stuck up top. Tried to get out the car and pull the wipers up to reset them which worked. Tried to wipe the windows again and then the drivers side wiper pops off the window. Like it moves back and forth but not on the windshield even though the arm is fully straight. It also seems like I can move the the metal pivot that the arm sits on back and forth. How do you disassemble this thing???

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think its pretty easy. it has a plastic round cap at the end. You take that out and then its just a 14 mm bolt that you turn to get the wiper out.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i just got a chance to look at it a little better and it looks like the aluminum rod that im guessing holds the wiper in place has broken. Not the rod that turns the wiper but the one i guess that keeps it stabalized on the window.. Does the ECM need to come out to fix this??? Or can I just remove the plastic cover under the wipers.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,164 Posts
Find a wiper transmission from a part out and be sure to clean up and lube the spindles where they move.

To remove the transmission and motor you need to take the top off the ECU box. You could also unbolt the lower half so it can move a little. It's a tight working place, and a colorful vocabulary will come in handy as you pull and twist.

·
Registered
819 Posts
^^ +1
tight place indeed, and removing the ECU box keeps your vocabulary decent :). It's not really much to it and makes it for a good opportunity to clean under the box. You may be amazed about how much dirt and dead leaves you could find down there. Also, you can smear some dielectric grease on the ECU pins.

good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts