Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though the washer bottle is full and not leaking, we get a light and a persistent and peevish message that the washer fluid is low.

Replacing the level sensor is not a trivial procedure. Is there instead a fuse that is just for this sensor (or for the light and /or message) that I could pull to "black out" the indicator? I'm perfectly capable of filling the reservoir without being told!

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I'm pretty certain that there is no fuse specifically for the windshield washer level sensor, but you never know! You may be able to jury-rig it by disconnecting the sensor's connector, and jumpering the two engine harness conductors with wire.

·
Registered
853 Posts
It's actually really easy to get to the washer fluid pump and sensor. Simply remove 3 or 4 screws in the front left fender liner and the reservoir is right there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty certain that there is no fuse specifically for the windshield washer level sensor, but you never know! You may be able to jury-rig it by disconnecting the sensor's connector, and jumpering the two engine harness conductors with wire.
Hmm..that should work as the sensor appears to have two electrodes (if that is the right word?) that are connected electrically if the fluid level covers them, no?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
There's definitely no separate fuse. But connecting the two wires together should make the light go out. Ref Bentley schematic 48/9; the sensor, shown as a variable resistor, is G33, brown/red & black/brown wires.

I'd venture that you're using RainX of similar washer fluid. It's been known to coat the electrodes and cause constant "low washer fluid" alerts. The dealer will tell you to stick with "the blue stuff."

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,579 Posts
Since it is so easy to get to, pull out the sensor and clean it. See if it fixes the problem. If not, you’re right there to jumper the wires together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's actually really easy to get to the washer fluid pump and sensor. Simply remove 3 or 4 screws in the front left fender liner and the reservoir is right there.
Yes, easy to get to by taking out a few screws and folding the fender liner back while you work on it.
Suggest siphon out as much fluid as possible to keep the mess down if pulling the sensor to clean/replace it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts