Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small one inch round crack in my windsheild... I know eventually it will get worse... What are my best options? DIY Repair kit, Have a pro fix it, or get a whole new windshield?

Thanks for the input

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
oh boy
it seems to be a bad windshield and temp sensor month.
how long has it been cracked?
in not more than a week you may have it repaired.
if you have glass coverage then schedule an appointment and before you get there make it longer than a dollar bill.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
If you do need to get a new windshield, make sure it is either OEM Sekurit glass, or PPG glass. Don't just go with whatever the glass shop with the biggest ad wants to install.

SirWired

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you do need to get a new windshield, make sure it is either OEM Sekurit glass, or PPG glass. Don't just go with whatever the glass shop with the biggest ad wants to install.

SirWired
I am going through safelite/insurance... Do i have a say on what goes in? They say they usually put in a safelite brand glass

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
its been about a month... so does that mean i can't get it repaired?
Mine was cracked for several months before I got it repaired - safelite handled it in about 15 minutes. I can notice the repair in the right light, but it's on the lower passenger side near the A pillar so it's not a big deal to me.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i have glass insurance so might as well get a new windsheild.

My question is, does the brand of windsheild make a difference?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Well i have glass insurance so might as well get a new windsheild.

May depend on who your insurance is with. Some will do the repair for free, no deductible, no "claim" against you. If you opt for windshield replacement (which is generally your right), you "may" be subject to comprehensible deductible and it "may" count as a claim against you. The deductible could be more than the whole claim, in which case you wouldn't want to file one.

Check with your agent or company just to be sure.

Sorry, don't know about windshield brands.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just got hit with a stone from a truck on the windsheild. Since he was the only vehicle about I gave chase and got him to pull over. I got his licence # and insurance. He did not want to use his insurance so arranged for a small outfit "Speedy Gonzales" to replace the windsheild. They put in PPG glass in our Accord. They charged the trucker $140. The Dealer price is over $1000, other companies about $400-500. The put it in at my house and did a great job (much to my surprise) They will do my Jeep for about $90. It sure pays to shop arround!

·
Registered
828 Posts
There are those who will argue that it does. My take is that it is the only the windshield that gets installed in the car that makes the difference. That is,
inspect it carefully before it goes on. Look through it at things that have straight edges: utility poles, edges of buildings, windows, and the like. Pay special attention where the windshield curves. Most are decent in the middle, but the sides are where most problems occur.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts