Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, a while ago there was a thread about some place in illinois that does a good job repairing windshields and cracks. I had it bookmarked before i reformatted and now i lost it. I got a dime size crack right in from of my passenger seat and iv been meaning to get it fixed. Anyone know a good place?

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
That why full coverage glasses is nice, 20 dollars a year, figure a winshield cost 300-500 bucks, makes it worth it.

Sorry doesnt really help you problem,

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Hey, a while ago there was a thread about some place in illinois that does a good job repairing windshields and cracks. I had it bookmarked before i reformatted and now i lost it. I got a dime size crack right in from of my passenger seat and iv been meaning to get it fixed. Anyone know a good place?
CHeck with your ins. co. A lot of them will repair it for free if you have comprehensive - no deductible will be charged and no hit on your insurance premiums. If you opt for windshield replacement (generally your right), then you may be subject to deductible.

Worth a call.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just had my windshield replaced. They came right to the house, replaced it in the garage, then left. Total charge: $310. The glass came with all the factory bits: dotted black edges, top section tinted, area for the rain sensor, and "cutout" for the VIN. My guess with mine is that the previous owner filled the washer bottle with sand. There were fine scratches sweeping the wiper area that weren't noticable in the rain, hardly noticable at high noon, but unbearable at night or at dusk. I called around and nobody wanted to polish it. The kits I read about seemed sketchy, so I just replaced the whole thing. It's like a brand new car again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Glass Doctor

Glass Doctor is everywhere in the USA, they do a great job. and to fill in about the polishing of windsheilds it would be worse at night with the headlights coming at you.

·
Registered
618 Posts
i went to a glass place on n. ashland, and they told me they can only repair chips, not cracks. mine is a combo of a chip and about a 1/2" crack...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
If you have a pic we may be able to give you an idea on repair/replace.

I just had to have one done over the summer, $330 something. :S The dash board has rattled a little bit ever since.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I found this place:
http://www.harmonautoglass.com/content/service/windshield_repair.aspx

If you look at the link, my chip/crack looks like the 2nd from the left
LOL almost every Harmon Auto Glass was bought out by the company I work for "Glass Doctor". And from the one you pointed out it sounds as they should have been able to repair it as long as it wasnt cracking to much. You would have still seen it if it was repaired tho so a new windshield is always good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts