Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I was starting to feel good about my Passat again. I haven't needed to fix anything in over 2 months! So I'm rolling up my front drivers window and it starts going up, makes a bad sound and falls back down in the door. Luckily I knew just how to fix it...

I'm still working on the writeup. :lol:

Oh well, I guess I have some reading to do and some parts to order.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Same thing happened to my g/f's Grand Prix over the summer. Bad window regulator, I think they call it.

Gotta love duct tape..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sounds like the window regulator.

When you get it apart you'll probably see that you had to replace a $120 regulator because a $0.10 piece of plastic broke.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone been able to rig some sort of replacement for the broken plastic clip without replacing the entire regulator? As you can see from the duct tape, I'm all for a cheap "fix". And please hurry with any suggestions, the tape is starting to slip!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Has anyone been able to rig some sort of replacement for the broken plastic clip without replacing the entire regulator? As you can see from the duct tape, I'm all for a cheap "fix". And please hurry with any suggestions, the tape is starting to slip!
There is a write up in the DIY section of the forum. It uses the Audi A6 window clips, which are very similar to our own, and slightly modifies them to work on our cars.

The A6 clips are about 5-10 dollars a piece at the dealer you'll need two per window.

I'm in the same situation as you, and I used some styrofoam jambed in between the inner door panel and the window to keep the window in place. It has been working fairly well for the last 3 weeks, the window slides slightly at times, but just pull it back up and it holds in place for a while...long enough to keep it there till I fix it anyway.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks bass_lover1. I didn't see the regulator fix in the information base index, but I see it now in the forum. Shouldn't it be in the index?

I'm now using the styrofoam method too, it's much cleaner looking than my duct tape mess. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts