Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to order big brake kit upgrade. I have a choice between Stoptech and Wilwood. Ok all I know is Wilwood is 6 pistons and Stoptech is 4 pistons. Wilwood requires to make a custom brackets to fit Passat( not a problem). Stoptech is bolt on. Wilwood is much lighter then any leading brake kits. I was thinking about monoblock porsche 986 calipers but I dont like the way they look.

Any opinions as far as performance?

P.S If you have pic. of your brake kit can u post plz.

Thank you.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think in the past, Wilwood brakes were made for racing applications only, and so may not have dust seals as a street brake system would. You might want to confirm that before purchase. Otherwise your new hobby might be regularly rebuilding pistons to clean out dirt & water.

AFAIK, a Stoptech system is custom-configured for each street application (vehicle).

HTH

Salud 8)

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I've driven on both applications and the Stoptech system is a better choice for street and track driving! I've driven on both applications and the Wilwood calipers had to be rebuilt after a year of events and street driving. Both kits utilize 2 piece rotors, which help with expansion but I noticed that the Wilwood system required the lines to be bled a little more often than when I ran the Stoptech kit for a full season. Even when I switched to a less aggressive pad and from Motul DOT5 to Lockheed fluid, the Wilwood still boiled fluid in the calipers while the Stoptechs ran steady. RPI-Equipped is a great company to deal with for customer service, but it took more time to get information and replacement components for the Wilwood kit. When I called Stoptech, I could always depend on answers from their engineers and quick parts turnaround before my races.

Trust me, the $600.00 difference is well worth it. Go with Stoptech!

I wish those guys finally did a BBK for the W8 but I'm holding on.. :D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Swami said:
I've driven on both applications and the Stoptech system is a better choice for street and track driving! I've driven on both applications and the Wilwood calipers had to be rebuilt after a year of events and street driving. Both kits utilize 2 piece rotors, which help with expansion but I noticed that the Wilwood system required the lines to be bled a little more often than when I ran the Stoptech kit for a full season. Even when I switched to a less aggressive pad and from Motul DOT5 to Lockheed fluid, the Wilwood still boiled fluid in the calipers while the Stoptechs ran steady. RPI-Equipped is a great company to deal with for customer service, but it took more time to get information and replacement components for the Wilwood kit. When I called Stoptech, I could always depend on answers from their engineers and quick parts turnaround before my races.

Trust me, the $600.00 difference is well worth it. Go with Stoptech!

I wish those guys finally did a BBK for the W8 but I'm holding on.. :D
Thanks for the info. I always hear different stories too. But very often I hear that it needs to be bleed more often and it needs to be checked every 8 month. Yes you right difference is $600. Only one thing I like about Wilwood its 6pistons vs Stoptech 4pistons.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PNWdriver said:
I think in the past, Wilwood brakes were made for racing applications only, and so may not have dust seals as a street brake system would. You might want to confirm that before purchase. Otherwise your new hobby might be regularly rebuilding pistons to clean out dirt & water.

AFAIK, a Stoptech system is custom-configured for each street application (vehicle).

HTH

Salud 8)
Thanks for the info, I checked with Wilwood and yes they make dust seals for the street application.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Realistically you shouldn't be having any problem with braking power right now. I am already activating ABS on a regular basis on stock tires and Brakes... so unless you are running racing slicks I don't see how you could be getting enough traction to warrent the added grip of a 6 piston caliper.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The braking distance has more to do with your tire traction than the brake system alone. Obviously, when you reach the traction/friction limit on your OEM tires, the ABS will kick in. This doesn't mean that you've reach a limit on your brake system, but just your tire limit.

If you however do upgrade the whole brake system including the tires, calipers, pads, fluid and rotor upgrade, you will see benefit in stopping power as well as gaining braking consistency in high or low speed braking. Also, you'll be able to push your brake system to higher limit, if you do tracks or race with your vehicle. That's what brake system upgrade is all about.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PASSAT2001.5 said:
The braking distance has more to do with your tire traction than the brake system alone. Obviously, when you reach the traction/friction limit on your OEM tires, the ABS will kick in. This doesn't mean that you've reach a limit on your brake system, but just your tire limit.

If you however do upgrade the whole brake system including the tires, calipers, pads, fluid and rotor upgrade, you will see benefit in stopping power as well as gaining braking consistency in high or low speed braking. Also, you'll be able to push your brake system to higher limit, if you do tracks or race with your vehicle. That's what brake system upgrade is all about.
One reason I decided to do brake upgrade is because last two times I overheat my brakes, I didnt do nothing extreme I was just driving on the canyon, most of the time I was using a lower gear for reducing my speed. And still after 40 min of driving my brakes starting smelling like a [email protected]@@t. Plus my friend has 2000 Audi A4 with 6pistons Wilwood upgrade, we did experiment we start braking at the same time he stops 6 inch before me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts