1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
190 Posts
There are many different ABS module part numbers dependant on the features installed in the car.
Ask the seller what the p/n is and maybe I can help.
Also MY 2001 was a breakpoint for the ABS unit. Later MY2001 cars will be different to yours.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
You need to check the big 50-amp fuse under the dashboard first, to make sure the problem isn't that the leakage we saw shorted out the ABS pump's power supply.

Anyway, having seen your car now, here's The List of stuff you need to fix:

1. CCM (they don't work so well once they rust out)
2. Vacuum hoses and Diverter Valve (until the engine holds a proper vacuum, you'll never know if the brakes are working right)
3. ABS pump (if it really is shot)
3. 100% fluid change (transmission first, then power steering, then brakes, then coolant)
5. Interior trim.

Do you have records for when the timing belt was changed? If not, that needs to be #2 on the list.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I just remembered the car had an engine swap under warranty at around 70k. I saw a receipt that said the car had a different shop change the motor and the owner was confirming that was changed....The second place confirmed that it was changed.

I also saw a receipt where the ABS was wacked out and the estimate was
"$1500+" and the owner declined.. I think it is safe to say it's crapped out.

Thanks for the VAG today and it was nice meeting you. I am going to look closer at this vacuum issue after some driving and get those fluids changed too.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Yeah, I just remembered the car had an engine swap under warranty at around 70k. I saw a receipt that said the car had a different shop change the motor and the owner was confirming that was changed....The second place confirmed that it was changed.

I also saw a receipt where the ABS was wacked out and the estimate was
"$1500+" and the owner declined.. I think it is safe to say it's crapped out.

Thanks for the VAG today and it was nice meeting you. I am going to look closer at this vacuum issue after some driving and get those fluids changed too.
Glad I could help.

The broken vacuum hoses are actually a fairly big problem, because there are a lot of vacuum-powered parts in that engine, and the broken hose right near the PCV valve means that dirt is getting sucked into the air intake. Get on that as soon as you've fixed the CCM and the brakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts