Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the topic says, any insider report if they will make some changes to the current model? I know Mitsu is considering a Evo IX soon. I am highly considering either one in the near future.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
definitely one new color, probably a different design for the front LSD, probably different wheels, probably a yaw rate sensor integrated into the DCCD, probably some unspecified changes to the steering rack.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
:weirdo:

I just saw 5 STi's today (2 blue, one silver, one white, and one black), and 2 Evolutions (1 silver and 1 red). I'm absolutely green with envy. Someone I used to be "on par" with is now a full 2 seconds ahead on a 40 second course. :cry:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies from two of the well informed members. :wink:

I am really getting tired of my '98 B5 and in a heart beat wouldn't mind having the STi or the Evo VII (RS included). After my test drive and perusal of the VW R32 (except for the fit and finish), I probably will not spend $30k on a VW glorifed GTI.

If I purchase the STi, it will be mostly stock except for a reasonable exhaust system. And it will be platinum silver metallic or aspen white.

If an Evo, it will be a`blue bayou w/ a personalized plate`of blew by U.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
powerslide23 said:
If I purchase the STi, it will be mostly stock
riiiiiiight ;)

You could probably get a smokin' deal on an '04 STI right now. Production is done so its just what's on the lots.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Macabre said:
powerslide23 said:
If I purchase the STi, it will be mostly stock
riiiiiiight ;)

You could probably get a smokin' deal on an '04 STI right now. Production is done so its just what's on the lots.
Actually I've got a couple of dealers calling for a great deal (below msrp). I'm just waiting for my brother from a European vacation because he knows the owner and has purchased a Forrester and a WRX in the last 3 years to see what he can get me. I got my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
TBH- I'd prob keep the STi stock for the most pt. Well..I may get some cheap Rota wheels for the street, b/c I would hate to curb the nice BBS wheels. Otherwise, the STi is already really quick as is, maybe too fast for street driving alone (would req a lot of self restraint not too lose your license in a fairly short amount of time). If your not going to take it to the track, I just don't think it's worth it. Then again, I imagine it's not easy to master such a car in stock form, much less add mods. For a car like the STi, you're a lot better off investing in seat time than anything else. I know I would be very nervous to drive a stock STi one balls-out on the track!

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
For the price, I'd probably snatch up one of the '04s with the GM-like incentives. :lol:

From what I've felt, the steering is pretty sharp and precise as it is, although not as sharp as something like an S2000 or a Miata w/ a manual steering rack. Even without the yaw control, the DCCD does quite a good job of powering what wheels need to be powered (if you let it do so). Overall, an impressive package, and an even better one if you can get it below MSRP. :shock:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Nah, I gotta make friends w/ Evo owners. :p Or pretend that I need to teach them something. :wink:

·
Registered
192 Posts
buddy of mine has an evo. vishnu stage 1 (turbo back exhaust with cat, XEDE fuel management). ran a 13.1 on 91 pump gas at sonoma, which many consider a slow track. i got to drive it. simply amazing. body structure even more solid than my dad's 528i, steering rediculously fast and precise, a suspension that i would be happy to never modify - thats how well sorted the car is.

i also got to drive the STI, drove it after the EVO. IMHO, the EVO wins in the following areas: better shifter, better heel-toe action, MUCH better seats (i was sliding all over the place in the STI compared to the EVO), better steering, feels extremely solid, even more solid than his old e36 M3 (which had the assortment of braces usually found above and below the shock towers), and had a more substantial feel than the STI.

STI clearly has less turbo lag. although lag was never an issue above 3k in the evo. STI stage any from vishnu has more output potential if youre interested.

vishnu tuning does work for both the STI and the EVO. something to look at further down the road...

http://www.vishnutuning.com/welcome.htm

when you get the chance to drive the EVO please let me know what you think. im thinking of getting one sometime...

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have driven a WRX and an EVO VIII but not an STi yet. From the limited driving (non-track) I've done, I also tend to like the Evo. However, several people I know including my co-worker has had problems with the stock clutch and his transmission is grinding and already broke the 3rd gear at less than 6K miles. He does not abuse the car totally but a little bit worried about the long-term reliability of the drivetrain on the Evo. I am still researching on both this cars.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I have no doubt at all the EVO is a more raw and track orientated car (always has been according to numerous reviews). The tried and tested 4G63 motor, and the RS trim adds to the temptation If I had to choose between car to car, I'd would really want the EVO over the STi. Unfortunately, I do have little faith in Mitsu's overall reliability. Subaru, on the other hand, have been known to be just about reliable as Toyota and Honda, despite the slightly costier parts (well maybe the motors are not as costy as the Honda motors, which are prob by far the most expensive). I think I'll settle for the WRX or STi instead considering the reliability factor. :drink:

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
I will never buy another Mitsu ever in my life again...

Between the 2 STI for sure...

Whichever it would be....the wing wouldnt last long on it....you know the video of the guy shooting EVO alteezas? I would be shooting those wings....

Hood scoops and body kits....you just have to live with... :(

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
my 95 Mirage...

Lets just say the suspension and the way the car felt at 20k miles.....was 10 times worst then what my Passat feels like with 110k....

Besides the fact....I know many people with Mitsubitsi...they lose their value too much and too fast. Im not sure about the Evo but....

If you gonna play with Mitsu.....get a Eclipse and mod it....cheaper and better IMO

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
the only thing the EVO's got going for it is that virtually indestructable motor. Buy a WRX, pick up a 2.2L closed-deck Legacy Turbo short-block from any dealer for $1500, stick it between the stock WRX heads, DONE. But then, if you don't want big power, this isn't really an issue.. The ease of getting big power out of an EVO is tempting, but I suspect over the long haul the cost difference is a wash at any given power level. I'd love to have one of those 13:1 steering racks though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
6 Participants
Macabre
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing