Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yes. It will make the already large fender to wheel gap appear even larger due to the shorter tire sidewall. I would suggest dropping the car at the same time you plus size your wheel/tire setup.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It depends on who you are. I don't notice any issues with additional perceived gap coming from my 15" -> 17" upgrade. Probably also depends on the specific wheels you've got; mine are a very very open design with the spokes going all the way to the very edge, so any extra gap could always just been turned (in your mind) into additional tire space, maybe.

·
Registered
709 Posts
yeah, it will. i got 18" wheels on my car right now with no drop. it looks like a tank, there's like a 2 inch gap, give or take. my friends always give me crap about it and say stuff like "Hey let's go mudding in your truck" or "Let's go crush some cars in your monster truck".

but hey, i'll tell ya this, 18" wheels with no drop looks better than 15" wheels and no drop.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In my opinion, it will look the same if you do the wheel/tire upgrade correctly. The plus two or plus three conversion should not change the diameter of your tire. Thus no increase or decrease in gap. It's a matter of perception and individual preference. If you check out the group buys, you can lower the car for about 155 bucks with proper springs. That is a worthwhile investment of 40 bucks per corner.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I wish I had dropped my car first. I wanted to go for what I thought would make it look better first. Well when I put those 18's on I couldn't believe the gap. I then had to drive around like that for several months. Spend the wheel money on coilovers.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I'm going with the 4x4 look right now and it didn't bother me until everyone started telling me to slam my truck :suspicio: hahah suspension is now coming soon........very soon

·
Registered
577 Posts
i have stock suspension with 17's. I think it looks good, obviously would be better lowered, but i like it a ton.

I dont know if its just me, but it seems that rims without lowered suspension looks more 4 X 4ish on B5.5's. i have a 99 B5 and there is decent wheel gap, but it still seems lower as compared to some B5.5s with stock suspension. Might be just me though....

Look at some pics and make your own decision on whether its worth it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
252 Posts
true...... suspension first and shoe..... very ture................ :cry:

because my car looks really funny now, looks like a jeep specially with those madd shaped yokoyama 225-40-17................. :cry:

im definitely droppin my baby soon :eek:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I never driven any car without dorpping it except a truck or suv.,,. for those I actually raised them couple inchs up!

drop it first.,., trust it.,., .,.,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts