Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will there be a problem to register a 35% tinted car in NY state? Will there be any potential registration problems if the windows are tinted too dark for NY, or will they have no way of knowing this on paper?

·
Registered
941 Posts
gnosis said:
Will there be a problem to register a 35% tinted car in NY state? Will there be any potential registration problems if the windows are tinted too dark for NY, or will they have no way of knowing this on paper?
You are correct, they have no way of knowing it on paper. However, the car does have to pass state inspection :roll:
Then there are the cops who love to break chops and pull over vehicles with tinted glass :nervous:

As far as NY state law is concerned.... I think its illegal :wink:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
i have 35% all the way around...and they just pull u over to bust chops....but i also have my front windshield tinted.,..and thats full blown illegeal..i actually just got a ticket from a MTA cop ....suxs...

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Question about the legality of tint.... If I had a legal 35% tint, and then drove through NYC, would they be allowed to write me a ticket?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Not sure about in NY, but in VA, yes they could ticket you. And they do ticket people jsut passing through all the time. But enforcement varies a lot with the community and the kind of car it is. Drive a r1ced out car with 20% tint? Gonna get busted. Drive a family car with 35% tint all the way around (35% is too dark for fronts here)...they'll pretty much ignore you...

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
duandcc said:
Not sure about in NY, but in VA, yes they could ticket you. And they do ticket people jsut passing through all the time. But enforcement varies a lot with the community and the kind of car it is. Drive a r1ced out car with 20% tint? Gonna get busted. Drive a family car with 35% tint all the way around (35% is too dark for fronts here)...they'll pretty much ignore you...
I'm not picking on you, but what is wrong with Virginia? The law enforcement seems to just do nothing else but prey on out-of-state people. As you said above they could ticket you for tint that is legal in your registered state, and then don't get me started on the speed traps (limit from 55 - 40, and an undercover cop waiting).

/rant done, no more O/T.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VA is F'd up, I hate VA cops in general. In Fairfax, I don't know if they're still doing it, but at one time they would chill outside of bars and clubs and write you up for being drunk in public when you walk out of there at 2 AM. And you wonder why there's so much gun violence in America.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Fairfax County Cops will generally leave drucks along, unless you are being loud and obnoxious. I think they've chilled a bit...

·
Registered
110 Posts
it depends on where u get ur inspection done...some places mite not pass you due to illegal tints in ny...i happen to know the guy who does mine....but cops will def ticket just to be a PIDA...i got one like a month or so ago...and i have my front windshield tinted too...the cop gave me these papers to send in and get it dismissed if the body shop signed off that they removed them.... so thats what i did...except i didnt remove them... :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts