Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's been cold as all hell up here so a hand wash has been out of the question. tomorrow is going to be the first day in a while above freezing temp so i was thining of taking my ride through an automated car wash. will the rails damage my wheels? they're 17x8s?

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
kirby said:
it's been cold as all hell up here so a hand wash has been out of the question. tomorrow is going to be the first day in a while above freezing temp so i was thining of taking my ride through an automated car wash. will the rails damage my wheels? they're 17x8s?
I wouldn’t trust it if I were you. Get a bucket fill it in the tub with hot water and wash it yourself :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
it might scratch your wheel when they put it through. during the winter i just take it to a hand car wash. that where i take my car during the Jersey winter. be sure they dry all the door jams or else you wont be able to open your doors the following morning.

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
Depends what kind of car wash.
I wouldnt run it through a gas station car wash, but if it is a place you know and trus then you should be fine. There is one by me that lots of people with aftermarket rims go to (Ive seen range rovers on 22's there and my friend with his 17's and many others).
It is up to you because if they ruin it then your SOL because it isnt their fault.

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
My dad has a BMW with 17's i think they are 8.5'' or 9'' in the rear and there has never been any problem with the wheels. It is a closer problem with the body if the car is sititng low.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
If you can't find a handwash, try looking for one of the newer 'laser' wash type places -- I sometimes take mine there if it's too cold to wash outside. The place I go to looks like one of the do-it-yourself bays, but you pull in and stop according to the laser sensor at the front of the bay. It's touchless (no brushes) and no rail guides for the wheels, though they might recycle their water, which can be another problem itself.

I just bring two MF towels to dry up the leftover water on the wheels and on the car...

·
Registered
716 Posts
In addition to contact damage from rails, etc., conside the caustic chemicals they might use. I don't think I'd trust my Mille Miglia's to a car wash.......

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Automatic car washes=BAD IDEA!!! :mad: . Trust me on this one, not just for your wheels, for the whole car!!. the rail could damage the wheels (depends how u land it) and no matter what, it's just a bad idea :puke: . I own a little detailing Co. in the NW and the most swirl and damages i have to deal with are from car washes, and a few questions of where to fix their wheels because they had a part grind against the rail of the car wash. Ultimately, your decision bud, RAH :b5: :thumbup: .

·
Registered
577 Posts
Since the time i had gotten my rims and when i took them off, i went through an auto car wash probably twice. It did absolutely nothing to the outside of the wheel. However when i changes my wheels for the winter, the inside lip (underneath the car) had some hefty scratches on it. So do whatever u feels right :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
See in NY, we have those dudes that get into your car, and drive it through the thing for you... You know they are gonna ding up your rims! I prefer hand washing it at home, or using the bays! Automatic :thumbdow:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I give hand jobs weekly :wink: (but I always have to pay for them! :cry: ), but don't the brushes at the bays scratch the paint too?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts