Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title states.

I might beable to get a set of these wheels for my car. Just wondering if they will fit up front given the fact that I have the HP2 brakes up front. Anyone running these? Thanks guys:beer:

Will I need like 5mm spacers up front?

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
they fit on my 01 4Mo:thumbup: No spacers. If you did, you'd trash the wheel well. As far as the calipers. The spokes on the M-Sport allow ALOT of room inside.

If you want to check... drive over to my place, and we'll drop one of my wheels on your car. I have my winters on now, so it'd be easy to do!

oh... you want 40's, not 45's - 235/40-18. You'll be pretty far out of spec (diameter) if you go with 45's.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool.

Another question, so how much room would you say that you have between your calipers and the spokes? Looking at these it does seem that they kind of bow out then back in to the edge of the lip. How much bigger are the S4 calipers then the stock passat's, I dunno?

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
pass-variant said:
they fit on my 01 4Mo:thumbup: No spacers. If you did, you'd trash the wheel well. As far as the calipers. The spokes on the M-Sport allow ALOT of room inside.

If you want to check... drive over to my place, and we'll drop one of my wheels on your car. I have my winters on now, so id's be easy to do!

oh... you want 40's, not 45's - 235/40-18. You'll be pretty far out of spec (diameter) if you go with 45's.
Actually a 225/40/18 would be best. It fits fine, has plenty of tread width, and is only .1 inch larger than stock.

·
6,165 Posts
225-40 IS the ideal OEM fit. But I can't agree with you QS that it's the best fit (asthetically). There is too much stretch on the 225 (the M-Sport is an 8.5" wide wheel).

Granted it's a matter of opinion, but 8" wide is the widest you can go without streatching the sidewalls on a 225.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Well, I HAVE some 18x8.5s (BBS CH) and a 225/40 on them and they aren't even a little stretched. In fact, they actually bulge a bit on the sides. If you look in the "show us your ride" thread in the Showroom I've got a few pics that'll show you EXACTLY what a 225/40 looks like on an 8.5" wide wheel.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm...that weird, because on my 7.5" Aristos I had 225/40's and they fit flush. How can the same size tire on an 8.5" wheel buldge??? That doesnt sound right to me, but what the he!! do I know, hah.:poke:

What tire are you running QS? Maybe its a manufacturing tolerance, I dunno.:confused:

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
Someone correct me if im wrong, but isnt 225-40-18 closest to OEM diameter for all NON W8 models, and 235-40-18 is the best for the W8. Not sure why i think that, but for some reason i thought the OEM W8 tires were larger than the rest of us little engine'ers :lol:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
roketdub8 said:
Hmmm...that weird, because on my 7.5" Aristos I had 225/40's and they fit flush. How can the same size tire on an 8.5" wheel buldge??? That doesnt sound right to me, but what the he!! do I know, hah.:poke:

What tire are you running QS? Maybe its a manufacturing tolerance, I dunno.:confused:
I'm running Goodyear GS-D3s on my CHs.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
This conversation has been done before, and coming from me, an owner of a set of 18x8.5 ADR MSports with 225 rubber, go with a 235. Just trust me, you'll want to.

I dont know what's up with your tires or wheels though, paul. My roomate had 19x8.5 Haamans and the 235 Nittos barely covered the wheels too. Like i said before, it's probably a combination of your slightly smaller (by design) 8.5 and wider 225 tire.

·
6,165 Posts
Should have mentioned that my first set of tires on my M-Sports were 225-40's. chrisyoon and I were of the same opinion... so much so I replaced mine with 235-40.

As mentioned above. Drive over to my place, and we can put one of my M-Sports on your front to see how they fit over the calipers. That way you'll be 100% certain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts