Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a stock B5.5 wagon.

Am I able to fit 205/70/15s where there is currently 195/65/15s? Would there be any issue with clearance?

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,601 Posts
As far as I know the rim and tire sizes must match. There is some margins you can play with. The best bet is to ask the Canadian Tire.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Everybody has an opinion, and this is mine.
You will have no problems with 205/70-15, in fact they will look pretty good.

I put 215/60 -16's on my Passat and love the looks, and the slight increase in ground clearance.

In my opinion pretty well all cars could go up one tire size as I believe manufacturers put on the smallest tire possible in order to keep costs down.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,601 Posts

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,106 Posts
it mentions that the rim and tire diameters should match. In other words, my understanding is that if your rim is 15" then fitting a 16" tire may not fit.
(Chuckles) I'm pretty sure a 16" tire on a 15" rim won't hold air.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,171 Posts
You may be onto something there....

One would need to assume that he had 16" wheels to go with the 16" tires.

Reactions: vbora01

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I think you would be better off upgrading to 16" wheels and 16" tires. Going to a 70 15" tire you will be adding 1" to the sidewalls which could impact the handing adversely. Should turn like a marshmallow I'm guessing. Either way keep in mind that your speedo will read about 5% lower than you actual speed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
(Chuckles) I'm pretty sure a 16" tire on a 15" rim won't hold air.
Ha Ha ! You guys are fucking hilarious.

You both know that passats came with either 15" or 16" rims.

In my case I went from 205/55-16s to 215/60-16s without any adverse effects. I ended up with a tire that is one size larger in width (from 205 to 215) and one size taller in aspect ratio (from /55to /60. And the combination makes the wagon stance look much better and slightly taller.

Having said that, you can rest assured that by going from a 195/65-15 to a 205/70-15 (one tire size larger in width and one size taller in aspect ratio) will have no adverse effect and in fact will even look better as it will make the wheel wells look a little fuller.

All I'm stating is that whether you are running 15" or 16 " rims you are always safe to install one size or even two sizes larger on tire size (respecting your rim size of course) without adverse effects.

There are charts out there that will show you exactly what differences you can expect in overall tire size (diameter) by playing around with width and aspect ratio.

I'm really surprised that some car enthusiasts have to resort to www.tirerack.com to confirm that a 16" tire won't fit a 15" rim.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm pretty sure he said both tires were 15".

As for the rest of it, the '205' is the tread width measured in mm. So the difference is 10mm, or less than half an inch. The '70' indicates sidewall and is a percentage of tread width. In this case, the tire will be taller, about 17mm taller, or 2/3 of an inch. The tread width difference might not be an issue, but the sidewall size could. The second tire is over an inch taller.

Best bet is you want a wider tire, go with a tire with a lower percentage (65 to a 60), which will not significantly impact the height of the tire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,171 Posts
Ha Ha ! You guys are fucking hilarious.

You both know that passats came with either 15" or 16" rims.

In my case I went from 205/55-16s to 215/60-16s without any adverse effects. I ended up with a tire that is one size larger in width (from 205 to 215) and one size taller in aspect ratio (from /55to /60. And the combination makes the wagon stance look much better and slightly taller.

Having said that, you can rest assured that by going from a 195/65-15 to a 205/70-15 (one tire size larger in width and one size taller in aspect ratio) will have no adverse effect and in fact will even look better as it will make the wheel wells look a little fuller.

All I'm stating is that whether you are running 15" or 16 " rims you are always safe to install one size or even two sizes larger on tire size (respecting your rim size of course) without adverse effects.

There are charts out there that will show you exactly what differences you can expect in overall tire size (diameter) by playing around with width and aspect ratio.

I'm really surprised that some car enthusiasts have to resort to www.tirerack.com to confirm that a 16" tire won't fit a 15" rim.

Some of us know that (me, Scotts13, etc). We were commenting on the 15"-16" confusion :rolleyes:.

I've run anywhere from 15s-18s. Aspect ratio has the most effect on handling. As 2002GLXV6 said, it should turn like a marshmallow. Stick with stock sizes and you'll be golden. I don't care how wide it is, tall sidewalls will roll in the corners causing undesirable handling.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some of us know that (me, Scotts13, etc). We were commenting on the 15"-16" confusion :rolleyes:.

I've run anywhere from 15s-18s. Aspect ratio has the most effect on handling. As 2002GLXV6 said, it should turn like a marshmallow. Stick with stock sizes and you'll be golden. I don't care how wide it is, tall sidewalls will roll in the corners causing undesirable handling.
Thanks guys. I guess I'll stick with the stock size unless I'm going to change the rims as well.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,171 Posts
Thanks guys. I guess I'll stick with the stock size unless I'm going to change the rims as well.
I should add a caveat. You can go slightly wider, but you HAVE to lower the aspect ratio like was said in post #10.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hello shawnwes,
A 205.70.15 tire would be 1.3 inches taller than a 195.65.15 tire, ie, the diameter of the 205.70.15 tire would be 1.3 inches greater. The sidewall dimension would increase .7 inches. The usual rule of thumb (If we allowed to use that expression any longer....) is a max variation of 3%. You could go as large as 225.60.15 and be within 3%. The sidewall dimension would increase .3 inches. However, it is increasingly difficult to find the best tires in the 15 and even 16 inch sizes. Tire Rack list just two tires in the 225.60.15 size. The 15 and 16 inch tire is obsolete, a legacy size. If you intend on keeping your B55 wagon update to 17 inch wheels and 225.45.17 or even 215.50.17. Tire Rack list 158 tires in the 225.45.17 size, and 67 in 215.50.17.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts