Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem now that winter is coming soon, as everybody knows in winter time you need to downsize the wheels with winter tires:
1. Narrower tires do better job in snow and ice;
2. 15's and 16's tires are at affordable price, 17 are much more expensive, 18 too much:) for my budget.
Because of BBK (Porsche Boxster calipers and A8 312mm rotors) I cannot fit 15 wheels anymore, what about 16's? Anybody have it done with BBK? For any input I'll be very appreciated...

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
I fit 17" Audi Sport rims over my Boxter calipers without a problem.
Also another set of Audi 17" rims (with winter tires).
My 18" ASA AR1 rims require a 3mm spacer so that the spokes clear the caliper.

It's not just the diameter of the rim that matters. You need enough room for the caliper to fit behind the face of the wheel. Different rim styles/shapes have a different amount of room behind them.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,619 Posts
I did a BBk Kit with A8 rotors, stock calipers and TT carriers. 16's are all I run :)
Dont know if it will help. Take a 16" rim and slap it in and see if you have the clearance..best way to tell

·
Registered
26,835 Posts
The 312mm rotors with stock calipers will even clear a 16" steelie from a B5.5.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about Porsche calipers, will 16's clear it? As I know, 16 steelies were made only for B6 platform with very high offset(

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,619 Posts
Do you have the steelies already? if not just get some OEM wheels.
I run wintersport M3's for years on my passat and Audi, never let me down..just the cars being too low was my problem lol.
I run the stock size also..the tires are great all around.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I don't have steelies yet. About OEM 16's maybe they will clear stock calipers because of their size and shape, I'm afraid this I'd not the case with Porsche ones, they are much bigger and have a square edges... So that's why I want to see if anybody fitted any 16's upfront.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
The 16" wheels will clear the A 8 312 mm rotors. With the Porsche calipers you might need to utilize spacers depending on the design of the wheel.

Good luck.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,899 Posts
I know VW Tango wheels (16") and most steelies will fit over a W8/A8 BBK. WRT a Porsche kit, I defer to hu vw's post above - but it makes sense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts