Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a back story.
If anybody remembers, I had this same problem earlier this year. Flaky random STOP messages. Turned out to be a bad pressure switch.
Replaced switch everything fine, or so I thought.
Last week the wife had the car out running errands and one the dreaded warning STOP message appears, with that obnoxious beeping of course.
She's freaking out, calls me at work from the side of the road asking if the car is destroyed.
I felt fairly confident the oil pressure was indeed ok and the oil level was good as I had checked a week or so earlier. Told her to start the car and listen to the engine. She said it was smooth and wasn't making any noise. Great, told her to go home and I'll check it out later.
Got home, popped the hood and checked the oil, right between the orange tabs. Wife says, I thought it was the oil anyways. I noticed the coolant was low while giving the once over.
I said lets go for a drive. Minutes later coolant warning message STOP comes up. Then she says, well maybe it was that then. I agreed that made more sense.
Go back home top off the coolant, good to go. This is last Saturday night by the way.

No messages since.

Tonight, we were out doing some running around. BAM, the oil pressure STOP message. Wife says, now I'm confused. Admittingly so was I. I'm thinking what is going on here? Could the oil pump really be failing?
Pull over into a parking lot, try sticking my head under the car. Can't see anything visual anyways. Reach under the searing hot car and 'feel' the pressure switch. The electrical connection is loose. What is this? Pull my hand back out so it doesn't melt my skin. Sure enough, a touch of oil on my fingers.
Check again, yep, I can rotate the electrical connection a smidge both directions. Well now it's obvious, the switch is falling apart.

I get back in the car and told the wife she was more than likely correct in saying it was the oil STOP message the first time.
Seemed pretty strange how the two warning messages came so close together. Kind of like a false positive thing.

Two oil pressure switches this year, that seems pretty odd. Just lucky I guess.
Has anybody else had a problem with the oil pressure switch?

Will check into a Genuine switch this next time around.

Registered
Having experienced crappy aftermarket oil pressure switches in the past (multiple failures on my first Scirocco, as well as my MkII Golf way back when).... never aftermarket on those. Always Genuine parts.
Even for the shockingly expensive dual sender on my current Scirocco (because, well, I tried aftermarket there, failed miserably - didn't even work correctly!), I ended up biting the bullet on a Genuine part (was, I think, about $250 for that one.馃槺 )

Registered
Bad oil pressure switches are real. They leak through the electrical connection spots.

My AEB went through 2 of them until I had to buy one from the dealer. So far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Not that I want to see other people have problems, but it's comforting to know that real people have had real issues besides just me. This just further cements the idea I shouldn't even consider anything else other than Genuine for this part.

FCP Euro has got them for $25.
That $25 spent is well worth the $$ just for the sake of my wife not having to worry herself sick because she thinks the end is near.

Registered
Hey Andreas,
What do use to change oil, Oil extractor or out the pan drain? I ask because I have been using a oil extractor for many years on my Passat, that my son now drives has had this same experience, occasional Stop engine for oil pressure .I have replaced the sensor once but it came back again after a while and I have bought another sensor but first changed the oil as it was do anyway and this time i used the drain for the 1st time in many 12 years, wider port means more debris if any better chance of leaving. If somethings in there and occasionally getting caught in the oil screen it could trigger the sensor. So far no new light but i'll keep my fingers crossed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I just drain the oil out through the pan.
Honestly, I'd have a hard time believing some debris is inside the engine. Surely can't say it isn't possible though.

I'll be 100% honest here, I've neglected all of cars my severely since I moved here to AZ (3 years this Christmas). I just don't have the resources to wrench on cars. Even changing the oil where I live is considered taboo. I've got to be pretty stealthy to get it done.
I've even wondered because I've neglected the oil for long that it is broke down enough and to thin and triggering a pressure warning.

It's been just a smidge shy of 4 years since I rebuilt my wife's engine. Even with me neglecting the oil changes, that oil comes out surprisingly clean.
In my case it's just a run of bad luck getting faulty sensors. The last one was from Auto Zone when I was in Burbank, CA earlier this year. Swapped it out in the street in front of my mom's house.
That is now the one that the electric connection turns inside the sensor. Just starting to weep a bit of oil.

Yeah, I could take it to an oil change place but I have serious trust issues with that.
Especially after my sister-in-law had her oil changed at one of those quick lube change places. They drained the transmission oil, thinking it was the engine, then adding another 4 - 5 quarts to the engine. This was back when I lived in WI. She was on her way from Milwaukee to Chicago and the transmission seized up on I-94 passing through Racine. I was the one who rescued her.
That incident is forever burned into my head.
Anyways...

I actually mentioned to the wife last night about trying to be ambitious today and do an oil change. She laughed at me.
I might even buy a couple of cheaper bottles of oil just to pour through the engine to make sure I get as much of that old neglected oil out of the pan as I can. We'll see. It's not even 9am yet and the temp is already straight up 100掳. 馃槹

We'll see how the day progresses.

Registered
I just drain the oil out through the pan.
Honestly, I'd have a hard time believing some debris is inside the engine. Surely can't say it isn't possible though.

I'll be 100% honest here, I've neglected all of cars my severely since I moved here to AZ (3 years this Christmas). I just don't have the resources to wrench on cars. Even changing the oil where I live is considered taboo. I've got to be pretty stealthy to get it done.
I've even wondered because I've neglected the oil for long that it is broke down enough and to thin and triggering a pressure warning.

It's been just a smidge shy of 4 years since I rebuilt my wife's engine. Even with me neglecting the oil changes, that oil comes out surprisingly clean.
In my case it's just a run of bad luck getting faulty sensors. The last one was from Auto Zone when I was in Burbank, CA earlier this year. Swapped it out in the street in front of my mom's house.
That is now the one that the electric connection turns inside the sensor. Just starting to weep a bit of oil.

Yeah, I could take it to an oil change place but I have serious trust issues with that.
Especially after my sister-in-law had her oil changed at one of those quick lube change places. They drained the transmission oil, thinking it was the engine, then adding another 4 - 5 quarts to the engine. This was back when I lived in WI. She was on her way from Milwaukee to Chicago and the transmission seized up on I-94 passing through Racine. I was the one who rescued her.
That incident is forever burned into my head.
Anyways...

I actually mentioned to the wife last night about trying to be ambitious today and do an oil change. She laughed at me.
I might even buy a couple of cheaper bottles of oil just to pour through the engine to make sure I get as much of that old neglected oil out of the pan as I can. We'll see. It's not even 9am yet and the temp is already straight up 100掳.

We'll see how the day progresses.
It is punishable by hefty fines to do car work in Charleston, SC historic peninsula, where I used to live. Neighbors living in $10million mansions would have been quick to call the police on me if I had done anything remotely resembling to working on my 98 1.8t. (No! I didn鈥檛 own a mansion. I lived in one of them, which my friend, who lives in NY, let me stay.)

Although, I am glad they never made it an issue me parking my paint faded 98 Passat on street where their divine Panameras and BMW 7s reign supreme.

So I would drive to a mega church parking lot and change the oil behind the trees where no one could see me.

Those church visits paid off. My 98 lady is pulling strong towards 350,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Bit of a back story.
If anybody remembers, I had this same problem earlier this year. Flaky random STOP messages. Turned out to be a bad pressure switch.
Replaced switch everything fine, or so I thought.
Last week the wife had the car out running errands and one the dreaded warning STOP message appears, with that obnoxious beeping of course.
She's freaking out, calls me at work from the side of the road asking if the car is destroyed.
I felt fairly confident the oil pressure was indeed ok and the oil level was good as I had checked a week or so earlier. Told her to start the car and listen to the engine. She said it was smooth and wasn't making any noise. Great, told her to go home and I'll check it out later.
Got home, popped the hood and checked the oil, right between the orange tabs. Wife says, I thought it was the oil anyways. I noticed the coolant was low while giving the once over.
I said lets go for a drive. Minutes later coolant warning message STOP comes up. Then she says, well maybe it was that then. I agreed that made more sense.
Go back home top off the coolant, good to go. This is last Saturday night by the way.

No messages since.

Tonight, we were out doing some running around. BAM, the oil pressure STOP message. Wife says, now I'm confused. Admittingly so was I. I'm thinking what is going on here? Could the oil pump really be failing?
Pull over into a parking lot, try sticking my head under the car. Can't see anything visual anyways. Reach under the searing hot car and 'feel' the pressure switch. The electrical connection is loose. What is this? Pull my hand back out so it doesn't melt my skin. Sure enough, a touch of oil on my fingers.
Check again, yep, I can rotate the electrical connection a smidge both directions. Well now it's obvious, the switch is falling apart.

I get back in the car and told the wife she was more than likely correct in saying it was the oil STOP message the first time.
Seemed pretty strange how the two warning messages came so close together. Kind of like a false positive thing.

Two oil pressure switches this year, that seems pretty odd. Just lucky I guess.
Has anybody else had a problem with the oil pressure switch?

Will check into a Genuine switch this next time around.

I am headed to the garage today as I have also been having the stop sign coming on and off. The only recent job done was to change the sump. After that, the sign came about a day later. I changed the oil filter as a precaution, the sign still comes on and off. Oil levels are fine. When they changed the oil filter I noticed the part where the filter is screwed to (forgotten the name) was lose and mechanic said if its lose it can cause the oil to mix with water; didn't quite get it but let it slide. Found they had put the dipstick in the wrong way so the tube was dreadfully lose too. But I read here that dipstick tube can't cause oil pressure stop warning. So I am now really hoping that its something to do with the switch, either they did not seat it properly or it needs cleaning. Just hoping. I'll report back once I get the proper diagnosis.

Registered
Yep i had that experience on my AUG as well. I tried to replace it with an aftermarket one and it failed within 8 month. I replaced it with an OEM one, that was 4 years ago, no issues. Same thing happened with a crank sensor on a MK4 R32 of mine, replaced with non OEM and failed within 3 weeks, crazy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts