Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this car for my wife back in November 2015. Got the car CHEAP. Body and interior is in excellent shape.

This is why the car was so cheap. Milkshake anyone?

Getting ready for engine and transmission removal. Notice the front of the engine. PO had used some kind of chemical in the cooling system (which was leaking everywhere)
The chemical has corroded the aluminum on the front including the alternator and also the #2 bank metal timing belt shield/cover.
Whatever this stuff was, it completely ate away at the bearings & pulleys for timing belt & serpentine belt. All that stuff will be replaced.
At this stage of the project, it took about 6 hours to get the car to this point shown in the following pictures.

Complete wiring harness disconnected at ECU. Makes pulling the motor so much easier. Most of the harness can stay connected to the engine and trans while removing.

Fuel rail out of the way.

Airbox removed.

Drivers side shot showing heat shield and transmission mount bolt removed.
The CV axle has been removed here in this shot, so is all of the suspension. The front suspension is getting a complete refresh.

Same thing on passengers side.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I'd bet that ATQ suffered from a lethal dose of Muriatic Acid (HCl) to the cooling system, probably from a pool chemical vendor.

A desperate attempt to unclog the heater core? Who knows.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow - you really dove in to that engine. I hope you have your cams and crank marked for the timing belt - I noticed that the cams are not in their proper positions for the timing belt change. Thanks for sharing the nice photos - good luck!

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE 5-7-16

Well here it is. As I progres along so will the pictures.
What I've noticed so far on the rapidly growing 'parts to be replaced' list.
Both motor mounts completely separated.
Steering rack leaking, no not leaking, pouring oil out past drivers side inner tie rod.
All (4) O2 sensors and primary cats - junk.
Probably the whole PCV system replaced. Every vacuum hose has coolant in it.

PO's handy work. (notice the Kombi gasket) :thumbdown

#1 bank. Yeah, that'd be coolant running out the exhaust manifold.
Awful lot of oil along with that there coolant too. The primary cats are junk cause of all this muck. Damn good thing I've got spares laying around.

#2 bank.

What the fu:censored:? :icon_eek:
This is after I removed the throttle body.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd bet that ATQ suffered from a lethal dose of Muriatic Acid (HCl) to the cooling system, probably from a pool chemical vendor.

A desperate attempt to unclog the heater core? Who knows.
It had green coolant, or what was left of it anyways. And yeah my fingers were on fire after I cut the heater hoses and it leaked all over my hand.
I have know idea what's in there, but I'm sure I just gave myself skin cancer today.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Coolant and oil not good - it can help to wipe the main bearings. Are you planning on a complete teardown, or an engine swap?

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why is there so much coolant where it's not supposed to be?
I haven't got that far into yet. But something is terribly wrong to suck the coolant into the manifold like that.

Coolant and oil not good - it can help to wipe the main bearings. Are you planning on a complete teardown, or an engine swap?
Yes, motor is getting completely tore down, inspected and new rings and bearings at the very least will be installed.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Going out to the garage now to peel those heads off.
I can't wait to see what's inside. My mission at this moment is to figure out why the coolant is getting into the crankcase in such huge volume and how the hell is all that mixture getting into the intake and PCV system.

It's almost as if there is a piece of vacuum hose stuck right into the oil pan.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE 5-8-16

Passengers side bank

Passengers side bank - head

Top view - passengers side bank

Drivers side bank

Drivers side bank head

Top view - drivers side bank

If you have a keen eye, notice the drivers side head the oil residue is burnt way more than the passengers side head. This does not make sense as it's from the same motor.
After some sleuthing I noticed the passengers side cylinder head has been replaced and is not original to the car. Plus the fact that I found a Victor Reinz head gasket on the passengers side. The drivers side still had the Audi/VW gasket.
After careful inspection of the passengers side head, I noticed that some donkey used a disc sander type tool to polish the head surface.

If you look at the first (2) pictures on this post you'll notice the front cylinder has been getting washed with coolant for quite some time. The chamber side of the head and the top of the piston is pretty clean, evidence that it has been leaking for a while. I still don't understand why so much coolant / oil mixture was getting into the intake system.
If I have to guess, I'd say that when the PO was driving the car he would keep adding coolant to the cooling system, coolant was obviously getting sucked into the engine, with time the oil level would risen to way over full. I think this muck was getting pumped into the intake and PCV system from the breather tube that connects to the aluminum thing between the cylinder banks just by being over full of fluid volume in the crankcase.

I have to do some more inspection but I'm pretty sure the block is junk. There is some pretty heavy scoring in the passengers side bank cylinder walls.

It's strange how one side was sucking in coolant (passenger side) and the other side (drivers side) has been burning oil. Those valves are wet with oil.

I can't remember the flatness spec right now for these heads but I'm guessing its about .002 over the entire length of the head gasket surface.
Polishing the head gasket surface with any type tool can net you HORRIBLE flatness specs. You can easily be .020 out within an inch.
I will be cutting the gasket surface at work to make it's all flat and well within spec.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The clean combustion chamber is where I suspect the coolant came in. At the least have that head checked out.
Without a doubt coolant was coming in on that cylinder for sure. The head chamber is nearly spotless.
I can't tell what 'for sure' the source of the problem is right now. The deck surface of the block is so heavily corroded around the all the coolant jacket holes that flow through the head gasket and into the head, I'm suspect that might be the cause of this. Ultimately caused by whatever chemical is in that coolant system is my best guess right about now. Dead serious, every time I touch that engine my hands start to tingle. I ran out of gloves. :thumbdown
I just drained the oil out the oil pan. Just under 2-1/2 gallons of liquid in the sump. :icon_eek:
At least the crank was getting well lubricated, even if the oil pump would have failed. :crazy:

Right at this point in time I'm really thinking I should just toss this motor. I have my original V6 from my '98 when that engine grenaded the valve train back in summer 2006. The lower end on that motor is still in very good shape. Just the heads need to be re-worked and it would be pretty much good to go. All I would have to do is swap out the AHA stuff over to ATQ and I'd be golden. Sure would be a lot less work going that route than trying to mess with this dog I got currently. I'll have to ponder that one for a bit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You are a brave soul! I will follow this thread with real interest. I hope I never see the inside of my V6! Good luck with the project - hang in there!

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
Pressure test the throttle body for coolant leaks too. With a blown HG, the pressure could easily crack the coolant passage in the throttle body and spread the coolant into all of the cylinders.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
You should pH test thec coolant just to know. They carry testing strips at pool supply stores (and Home Depot, at least down here). Was the PO's name Dunn Bass by any chance?
Since it sounds like you need to bore out, unless I could get a set of oversize pistons on the cheap I would probably go the swap route at this point.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pressure test the throttle body for coolant leaks too. With a blown HG, the pressure could easily crack the coolant passage in the throttle body and spread the coolant into all of the cylinders.
You know, I was wondering about that. I was literally sitting in a lawn chair inside my garage staring at that motor for like an hour yesterday late in the day, and I cannot come up with real solid reason why so much coolant/oil mixture got into the intake and PCV system.

However, TB being bad doesn't explain the oil mixture in with the coolant in the intake system.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts