Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2001 2.8L passat.Wife smashed into a manhole cover today and ripped open her oil pan and smushed some internal stuff. I can replace the oil pan, but there are 2 lines she kinda smushed. what are these lines and i think i can bend them back but im not sure i can or even should.

Attachments

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,899 Posts
this is in the wrong forum - you need to put this in the B5 forum. I'll ask a mod to move it for you.

this is a B5.5 2.8L, yes?

·
Registered
26,803 Posts
Looks like oil lines from the pump to the oil filter. I've never dropped a V6 pan (yet), but I would worry about damage to the upper pan from a hit like that. I've seen lesser hits crack upper pans on a V6.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Replace them, don't try to bend them. Those things need to seal right or your oil pressure will be all funky. Had a similar situation in an old Volvo 240, tried to bend it back, the O-rings wouldn't seal right ended up having to tear it all apart and do it again. Not a fun job to do twice.

Oh and, thank goodness its not only my wife that does that type of thing, mine ran over our vent pipes in the yard this winter and crushed the a/c receiver/drier.

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
Yes those are the oil lines and should be replaced. (with new "O" rings)
Check for cracks, particularly where those pipes connect, and the upper oil pan.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
Parts are easily available from a local pick and pull for under $100
Hope you stopped that engine real quick.
Funny, my wife did exactly the same with our wagon.
Damn road sign said 'No access, Local access only' So she drove straight into a dug up, unlit intersection.
Didn't smash it that bad but drove another mile to her destination and then noticed the oil draining out under the car.

Local city paid for the damage.

Around $1K at a VW stealership. It was almost $500 just for the damn pan!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts