Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know B5's have narrowband 02 sensors, so hooking up an AF gauge won't really tell me much until WOT.

I'm about to buy some gauges, and I'm wondering if i could add a wideband 02 sensor and hook it up to the AF gauge. Anyone done this or something similar? I'll be building an exhaust soon so i could easily add in a new place for wideband.

One other question, would it be possible to get a wideband out of a B5.5 and replace my wideband with it?

Thanks for the help.
Ethan

· Banned
8,943 Posts
Actually, you've got it backwards. The narrowband sensor operates under light-throttle and disengages under heavy-throttle. The reasoning is that the car will be driven at light-throttle most of the time, so the oxygen sensor will be able to govern the engine's operation most of the time and collect statistical data to help the ECU guess the correct fuel mixture the next time the driver stomps the gas.

Anyway, yes you can add a wideband sensor to your car, but you'll either need to weld an extra bung for the wideband sensor, or buy a catalytic converter with an extra bung pre-attached, or buy a special wideband sensor that also generates narrowband output so you can replace the narrowband sensor with it without pissing off the ECU.

No, you can't replace the narrowband sensor your car uses with a normal wideband sensor (as previously noted, there are combo sensors available, but I don't know where to get one). The wideband sensor's output voltage within the narrow range of fuel mixtures that the narrowband sensor used to monitor will be so far off from what the ECU expects to see that it won't know what to do with the data.

(I've been through this line of questioning before.)

- - -

Which gauges are you going to be installing? The most useful ones are an air pressure gauge (useful on the V6 as well, even if it only reads vacuum) and an oil pressure gauge. Those systems are the two most likely to cause problems with your car without being nice enough to give you a running start on fixing them. Opinions regarding other gauges are varied; some people have Lambda gauges (that's "air/fuel ratio" to you), exhaust temp. gauges, oil temp. gauges, accelerometers, you name it.

· Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan on getting oil temp, pressure and AF hooked up to a wideband after the testpipe. I already have a boost gauge.

I think the 02+ (AWM) had widband 02 sensors, someone correct me if i'm wrong.

· Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^this is how i'm currently doing things. But I would really like to see some real time data. My injector duty cycles are maxed and i would feel better if i could see how it's running after an injector upgrade on a RPM basis.

Been thinking about getting one of these
http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm

Then making some sort of custom mount to put it not the cubby hole under the radio and getting a NSP oil pressure gauge and calling it a day.

Kraut-sled - Can you take a look at my dyno thread? Is there a way to tell if I have the J31 file or the K05?
http://passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239896

· PassatWorld Staff
11,264 Posts
...But I would really like to see some real time data. My injector duty cycles are maxed and i would feel better if i could see how it's running after an injector upgrade on a RPM basis.
Real-time A/F is not a very useful thing. Even with an accurate (wideband) meter, precise correlation between A/F and RPM is difficult. You'd be better off spending the moeny on a VAG-COM, so you can log precise A/F vs. RPM and other useful data like injector duration, mass airflow, timing, and knock retard.

· Read Only
1,631 Posts

· Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Real-time A/F is not a very useful thing. Even with an accurate (wideband) meter, precise correlation between A/F and RPM is difficult. You'd be better off spending the moeny on a VAG-COM, so you can log precise A/F vs. RPM and other useful data like injector duration, mass airflow, timing, and knock retard.
Thanks Rusty. I have a vagcom now, and i'm slowly learning how to use it.:)

What other gauge do you have besides Oil temp and pressure? I know i want Those two but really don't know what to get for a 3rd gauge (I already have a boost gauge.I've been thinking about an EGT gauge for a while.:)

· PassatWorld Staff
11,264 Posts
what if i get a cable to go to my palm? is VAGCOM compatible with palm os?
Nope.

Thanks Rusty. I have a vagcom now, and i'm slowly learning how to use it.:)

What other gauge do you have besides Oil temp and pressure? I know i want Those two but really don't know what to get for a 3rd gauge (I already have a boost gauge.I've been thinking about an EGT gauge for a while.:)
EGT gauge is good to have but hard to install.
I have:
Boost
Oil Temp
Oil Pressure
Fuel Pressure
Volts

· Banned
8,943 Posts
ok so a vag com is the only way to measure a/f accurately while driving? If so, is there a display for the vagcom that you can mount permanantly to view?
It's not so much the only way to monitor Lambda while driving, but it IS the most useful way to do so without killing yourself. You gotta remember, you're not going to be staring at these gauges constantly (or at if you do, stay the hell away from me on the road). Gauges are most useful when they're in your peripheral vision and you get used to the way they move under certain conditions -- then, if something goes wrong, the gauge jumps around in a way that gets your attention.

A good example is what I noticed on my boost gauge when I took the snorkel off my car a week or so ago; I noticed out of the corner of my eye that my boost gauge was reading higher than it normally does; THAT was useful information, but by no means was it useful for longer than the instant that I saw it. If you want to STUDY the data, you gotta record it automatically so you can pay attention to the road, and that's where the VAG-COM comes in.

· Registered
542 Posts
Kraut-sled - Can you take a look at my dyno thread? Is there a way to tell if I have the J31 file or the K05?
http://passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239896
You have the K05 file that uses the stock injectors and a 5 Bar FPR. The J31 file is a solder chip only file.

Car looks great from the dyno numbers in your post. I agree that your MAF numbers are higher then I have seen on any other K04 1.8T. However keep in mind up here in the thin air of Denver MAF numbers are always lower.

From the logs, your injectors are maxed out, but that is not a concern as the A/F is good.

· Registered
34 Posts
Nope.

EGT gauge is good to have but hard to install.
I have:
Boost
Oil Temp
Oil Pressure
Fuel Pressure
Volts
rusty (or anyone else) - i've searched for an install thread for an egt gauge, but haven't been able to locate one... has anyone seen one?
more importantly though, am i wrong in my assumption that an egt gauge is the best way to monitor my turbo temp?
i want to do 3 gauges... boost, turbo temp, and i'm not sure about the 3rd yet. a/f? oil pressure? any suggestions?
i drive a hopefully-not-for-long stock '03 b5.5 1.8t
thanks everyone! and i love this website!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.