Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, it's still too expensive :p

$580 - turbocharger capable of 350-400 flywheel hp, oil/water cooled, ball bearing cartridge, direct bolt-on
$100 - fuel pump
$0 - free 850cc injector mod
$0 - free downloaded engine management map, with a little custom tweaking

If my results are typical, should be 280-300awhp on pump fuel @ 19-20psi. We shall see :)

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a little misleading of me because I did, in fact, buy a piece of hardware that lets me use those maps.. however I did that for tuning up my stock turbo so I say it's fair not to count it in my latest upgrade cost (which only requires me to download a new map at no cost and upload it from a laptop, but I will probably spend some time tweaking it for my specific set of mods and preferences) :D

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
What's the free 850cc injector mod? That's a TON of gas. :lol:

I need some programmable ECUs. :p

I've considered picking an S-AFC and Greddy Profec Spec-B II when I go turbo, but honestly...if I could go for a fully programmable, it'd probably be cheaper.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, since to get the most out of it, you cannot let the stock ECU dictate timing.. so you end up buying a third product like an Apexi SITC to get a handle on that. Doesn't make financial sense. Something like a greddy e-manage would probably work well for you, they're pretty cheap. I'm real happy to have TurboXS around for me EMS needs :)

850ccs is quite a bit :D but not *that* far outside of what I'd pick if I had my choice. People get the 565cc STI injectors to hit 100% IDC with this turbo. Can't beat the price though. As for how it works, it turns out that Denso pretty much only makes one top-feed injector, then they weld a different cap on the end to acheive different flow rates. 850cc's = no cap at all, ala dremel tool :) money shot

Click here to see the RC Engineering test report on a set

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Semi-closed heads? That can't be good! 8) I assume you mean "semi-closed deck" which is a found on the EJ207 JDM STI, not that anyone damages the block on these things- by far the most common failure point is blowing the ring lands off the #4 piston. The EJ205 in the WRX is a mostly open deck

And you can see the only difference on the EJ207 is a couple more tabs on the top and bottom of each cylinder

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Geez. You becomin' a dyno queen, eh? :poke:

I'll stick to my fist sized turbo for now. :lol:

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, dyno queen.. now if someone would just get an AWD dyno in town my queening would be complete!

Although, this turbo is hardly a drag monster.. it did come stock on the 22b.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't yet :) There's a Subaru shop in town that has been promising an AWD dyno for months now. If I really needed to do it I could head to one of the many bay-area dyno shops. Actually, looks like that shop has it listed on their website now.. I'll have to call 'em and see if it's really there. If so I might do a "pre-turbo" baseline for shits and grins.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aha.. just talked to them, and their Mustang AWD-500 is up and running! Might have to make a jaunt down next week for a baseline

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Ah, I hear those are pricey. Not that you care that much. :p

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Very nice work! I recently looked at a 2004 WRX wagon and was pretty impressed. Maybe if I decide to sell the Passat I'll pick one up. Have you already taken care of the cat in the up pipe?

How do you think the lag will be with that turbo + the modded up pipe/exhaust vs. stock?

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've already taken care of all the cats and the rest of the exhaust system. I expect to get ~18-19psi around 3500rpm give or take a few hundred depending on gear choice, based on others' experiences, then holding solid up to 7000. I'm waiting on an obdII scan tool so I can validate that my fire hose injectors are scaled properly so I might not get to put this all together 'till the following weekend.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Sounds very nice Mac. Keep us posted. I heard some chic talkin smack about her WRX last weekend and Im really not sure of what to think. She was saying that she makes like 300awhp at the wheels iirc and a MBC. Not sure how much psi she was running, but I stopped listening after I heard the MBC.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts