Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's the situation -- I just purchased a 2004 GLS 2 1/2 weeks ago (Reflex Silver, black leather, manual) as a dealer transfer. I looked at the build date inside the door and saw that it left the factory 6/2003. So I called the dealership the car was transferred from and found out that according to their service department, their pre-delivery inspection took place on 8/2003. The odo when I received it stated 47 miles.

Could my car really have been sitting on the lot for that long without being sold? I know it is optimistic to think that our beloved Passats are such a rare commodity that each one finds a home within hours of leaving the dock, but I'm worried that something seems out of place. The dealership claims that cars can sit on their lot for a year before being sold, but I just don't believe that. Maybe black leather isn't the most in-demand interior here in Souther California, but some thing just doesn't feel right.

TIA for your comments.

Lito

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Definitely possible. It's a stick (which instantly makes it "less popular"), and many people won't necessarily want black leather. Also people might rather go for the V6 (even though it's not much more powerful, but people want V6s).

Just be glad that you came along to give it a good home. :thumbup:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hey, there's gems out there, I got a used one from a stealership. I found mine in the showroom this last September, with a build date of 11/97 and the car had less than 31,000mi!! It is also the 1.8t stick.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Manual transmission cars were only 17% of the new car market just 5 years ago and have fallen even further to, I think I heard, only 13% now. Add that to the black leather issue in CA and it could definitely be a slow-mover. Sounds like you should have driven a hard bargain for it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
i got a 2004 GL a little over a month ago with a build date of 06/03 and 50 miles so its pretty common. The dealer inspection was in November however. My car is probably not too much in demand (probably why i got such a good deal on it), considering its a GL with absolutely no options.. so it does happen

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
It's definitely possible, sometimes in certain areas, certain features are not that popular for certain people so the car just sits unfortunately. Mine however is a MY 03, built 7/02 and sold to me at the end of August - took it home the day after labor day in Sept, it was fresh off the boat!!!

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
idale said:
Definitely possible. It's a stick (which instantly makes it "less popular"), and many people won't necessarily want black leather. Also people might rather go for the V6 (even though it's not much more powerful, but people want V6s).

Just be glad that you came along to give it a good home. :thumbup:
that's how i got a massive deal on mine! stick, 4 cyl, hey!~

·
Registered
330 Posts
It is very common. I currently work at a stealership and there's a beautiful blue W8 that has been staring at me for the past six months (at least)!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, guys, I feel much better. I absolutely adore my new car (I try not to say that in front of my wife -- not TOO much, at least)! I guess I'll be satisfied knowing that I'm the one that took so long to give this Passat a good home.

Lito

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Just to throw in my 2 cents...build date was 6/2002, purchase date was 11/2002.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
dude, I have the EXACT same car but a 2001.5. I got mine a week after it was delivered. It took me 4 months of looking to find it. Mine may have been lucky timing on my part, but I think the other guys are right, not too many people want a manual, except for us :)

My build date is 4/01 and I got in 07/01

Kevin

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I had a build date of 11/03 and got it 8/04 on my wife's variant. I guess people didn't like silver with gray leather.

On mine the build date was 11/03 and I got it 11/04. Stick, 1.8T Jetta, cloth seats, Alaska Green, but it had a spoiler. For the amount I got off, I can live with the spoiler, hell, only had 14 miles on it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Guyute said:
I had a build date of 11/03 and got it 8/04 on my wife's variant. I guess people didn't like silver with gray leather.

On mine the build date was 11/03 and I got it 11/04. Stick, 1.8T Jetta, cloth seats, Alaska Green, but it had a spoiler. For the amount I got off, I can live with the spoiler, hell, only had 14 miles on it.
Are you predicting future purchases? :D

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
nbviper said:
Guyute said:

Are you predicting future purchases? :D
Sleep, must have more sleep.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
18 Participants
Johnny
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing