Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did I go back to posting on VW Vortex, particularly the Car Lounge section? This particular segment is filled with most hostile, trollish VW haters imaginable. The Tex itself can get a bit ugly at times, depending on the discussion forum, but the Car Loungers make Vortexers look like Mother Theresa. Anyone else ever go there and see what I'm talking about? After leaving the New Beetle/2012+ Beetle scene, I had a hard time for a while getting posts on PassatWorld, so I felt I had no other choice but to return to the Vortex. The Passat forums over there seem all right, but stay away from the Car Lounge. Those people are incredibly rude and tactless.

·
Registered
26,206 Posts
I liked it about 10 years ago when I had a lot more dead time at work. I've not been back for a long time.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's seriously ugly over there. But that does make for some great reads during downtime, as PZ mentioned.

I especially like the dented Camry thread xD

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little update here over a month after I started this thread....Well, somebody may see this before 2017 rolls around....but anyway, I've reached the point where I can't even read VW-related posts in the Car Lounge anymore. The negativity is akin to an outbreak of some horrible pestilence like the Bubonic Plague or Typhoid Fever. I of course realize that not everybody loves VW as I do and hence "haters are gonna hate" but what blows me away are the lifelong VW owners that do nothing but condemn everything they read in the latest news in regard to plans. My question, then, is this: If you have no faith in Volkswagen as a car company, then WTF are you doing still driving one of their products?

·
Registered
121 Posts
People like that just want to spew hate... that's all. You have to ignore them or it'll drive you nuts.

I personally have no issue with VW. Dieselgate doesn't bother me. If anything, I'm more annoyed that it was found out. I think the EPA is full of crap and needs to be dissolved. I'd gladly buy a TDI if I could find one at a price I could afford and in good condition, etc, etc, etc.

The Passat I got just over a week ago is my first VW since my dad's old 1978 Dasher in the mid-late 80's (so it doesn't count). I'm quite liking it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I've got to get off there before I really do go nuts. It's becoming an exercise in masochism. I grew up in the old Bugs (my dad's '57 Oval) and then several in my late teens and early 20s. I went from 1984 all the way until 2000 before I got my first water-cooled VW, a 1996 Golf. From then on, I've been a confirmed VW guy and will remain so for life. To me, true dedication and enthusiasm for a car brand means overlooking questionable strategy and focusing on good attributes while remaining loyal. I'm now on my 2nd Passat and have been active in VW clubs and shows since 2002. Glad to hear you like your Passat. I'd love to have an old Dasher for shows, but they're very hard to find now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Your description of that area reminds me of a site I used to visit frequently called ADV Rider. It's a big dual sport/adventure motorcycle forum. It's enormous. It used to be pretty cool, but has gone downhill in the six-ish years that I've been a member. There are major cliques there... the moderators are complete jerks and the punishment for any infraction is a BAN of varying length with no warning or means of appeal. The moderators and their "followers" of course get special treatment that the rest do not. And there's a section on the site called "Yo Mamma" that sounds a LOT like the Vortex's Car Lounge area. It's 1000x uglier than the rest of the site.

Then last year they changed their forum software and now I can't stand to go there at all. It's too busy and the font size has up-scaled so it's hard to read. Just annoying now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Basically, the Car Lounge is a double-edged sword. While I don't follow much if any of the auto industry as a whole, I do keep up with Volkswagen. There are many VW people in clubs, other discussion groups, etc, all over the Internet and in person at shows, but very few that keep up with what's going on with sales, future plans, etc, so I rely on articles I see if I Google "Latest VW News." Since so few VW people actually talk about what's going on with the company, (especially if they have something like a 50-year-old Bug or Bus they use for club events and otherwise have something like a Chevy Impala parked in their driveway) the CL is one of the only places to see what non-industry people are saying when something newsworthy comes up. The problem is that a good 95% of the CL posters that discuss VW's do so in an extremely negative and hostile fashion. They basically either regurgitate what biased journalists print in their own words and then when they interpret what they've read, they'll paint the gloomiest scenario imaginable. Woe to anyone who looks at VW in any semblance of positivity, for they are merely naive aplogists.........

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's all spewing ignorance. These people, especially so-called journalists, have no clue. They don't get the big picture. VW as a company is HUGE. VW owns Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT and Skoda (courtesy of Wikipedia). They aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Even if these ridiculous dieselgate fines are super huge, it won't kill them. Worst-case we might see them sell off a few of the lower-performing brands, maybe.

I've been a huge car fan since I was a kid.. I used to subscribe to ALL of the car magazines and would read each one cover to cover the day it arrived in the mail. Today, with the internet, everyday I read many of the automotive blogs and the magazine websites (which are now blogs too). Even though I spend way more time interested in motorcycles now than cars, my first love is still cars.

I'll admit I haven't been too happy with their designs of late. The current-gen Jetta and Passat are about as boring as you can get. The previous-gen Jetta was a nice looking car. But I know it was done as a cost-cutting measure, and in time it'll fix itself.

It's kinda like Toyota. I _hate_ Toyota. Sure, they're pretty reliable cars, but they also make my top-three most-hated cars in the universe -- the Camry, the Prius, and the Lexus RX. Camrys are for people with no sense of individuality whatsoever. Priuses are for arrogant, self-absorbed Save The Planet types who want to make a political statement, and RX's are for old people with money who like go drive slow and hold up traffic. I haven't noticed any such trends with VW... VW owners are kinda like Subaru owners in their loyalty and stuff... though IMO Subaru is losing it of late because of this move to CVT transmissions and some seriously boring designs.

It's kinda funny how I've finally gotten my first VW and am now getting into it. My ex-wife in Reno bought a 2006 VW New Beetle about two years ago (yellow, automatic, 2.5L) and absolutely LOVES the thing. My 10yo daughter refers to it as "Minion." Now I got my Passat and I'm really quite fond of it. Yeah it's nowhere near as fast as or handles as well as my 400 hp 2008 WRX 5-door I used to have, but for what I paid, it's awesome... and no car payments!! :)

I don't remember where I was going with this post now... but I don't want to delete it, so I'll post it and maybe somebody will benefit from it in some way. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually like the exterior styling of the Jetta VI better than previous generations. The B7 Passat took a bit to grow on me although I like the Euro spec a lot better. Love the Golf VII, too. But I liked the New Beetle 98-10 generation's looks better than the 12+.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just noticed a PM from the Vortex, and I'll presume it was somebody in the Car Lounge. He or she made a request that I die in a fire. Gotta love it....

·
Registered
121 Posts
People's inability to accept that other people have opinions that my differ from their own, and to wish those people harm as a result, is just sad.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I probably should have, but the only reason I started posting once in a while over there was to respond and contribute my take on the "Dieselgate" stuff. Big mistake. To be fair, a few posters were OK, but the ones that aren't leave a sour taste in my mouth. From now on, I think I'll just read news reports, interpret them on my own, and then wait to see what happens. I just get really worked up when VW owners themselves desecrate the brand and never manage to see the bright side of things. IMO, if they feel that way, they should be driving other makes. It's one thing to say something like, "VW has a tough road ahead," and quite another to say, "VW is a company filled with blundering idiots and will leave the US within xxxx amount of time."

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
There are a lot of good posts and posters there. Some very informative, some just entertaining. For me, it always had a nice blend of both. In the last several years it has degraded quite a bit but there is still some gold now and then. I just filter it out and try not to let it bug me.

If I had a nickel for every time I started to comment on some debate or contentious issue on Vortex/Passatworld/Facebook, but then thought "nah, this isnt worth my time and energy" and did something else, I'd probably be able to pay cash for a new Golf R.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also realize the CL is much, much more than just VW talk, but I rarely read any posts unless they pertain to VW. I'm giving myself a pat on the back, though, because I haven't even gone there to read anything for a few days now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, today I had to read some stuff, because the "Car Lounge Sales Thread" comes out at the beginning of each month. Nothing has changed. Despite the fact that VWoA sold 27K cars in April and 96k on the year so far, (which I find quite impressive in light of Dieselgate), the company can still do nothing right, according to all who make comments there, but from now on, rather than retaliating with words, I'm biting my figurative tongue and will just sit back and continue to be captivated by their ignorance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts