Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you go by the idea that a country is defined by its common values, then why try to force the many peoples in iraq to act and appear like one country when, in fact, it really isn't.

just divide the damned thing and be done with it. give some to the sunis and make that a suni nation. give some to the shiia. etc etc.

you think like A and want to hang out with A? go to the A country. and so on with B, C, etc.

why not?? seriously.

there appears NO way that people in A-land _want_ to live peacefully with those in B-, C- and D-lands.

even if you make them 'states' or territories (so they still are part of the bigger name called 'iraq', if that's so important a thing to have). but it seems clear that there is too much difference between the current peoples of iraq and that any forced set of views held by the overall country will only piss off all the rest who are not of that specific belief.

I see no other alternative..

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
And than they will battle for the other land claiming that land is rightfully theirs. You know for a fact, they won't be satisified with their chunk of the region.
You have more Oil! That site is a holy place! We found that place! Your religion sucks!

They would be tearing each other apart just as much as now. There isn't a solution. This is the enigma you call the Middle East. Don't try to rationalize.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, a similar thing happened in india. the muslims and hindus separated into pakistan and india. and yes, they're still at each other's throat, but they felt their views were too different to live together, so they agreed to separate (essentially).

when people of a common ground can't live together, you separate them. what ELSE can you do?

I mean, when the dislike they feel for each other is SO deeply embedded, maybe its better just to acknowledge that and deal with it rather than sweeping it under the carpet.

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
linux, this is disappointing...i thought you were a "thinker"? :D

would you have done the same during our civil war? just let us split b/c you're "over it"? no more drive?

it wouldn't matter anyway---"official" borders don't count for shit!

things take time, it's only been a year. (which isn't much at all when you're talking about reconfiguring a country)

patience, grasshopper.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RE: civil war in the US - its not that the north and south had HUNDREDS of years of history hating each other. the mid east fighting goes down very very deep. to the bone.

I predict that no matter how you try to package it, you'll have civil unrest and it will never get 'good' over there. the internal faction-hatred is just too deep. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't give that region of the world any serious credit for being able to work out their differences in a peaceful way. when its religion we're talking about (and that's what it is, under the covers), there's just NO word 'compromise' in their dictionary. THAT is the problem, but its one that is too inherent in their belief system.

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
linux-works said:
RE: civil war in the US - its not that the north and south had HUNDREDS of years of history hating each other. the mid east fighting goes down very very deep. to the bone.

I predict that no matter how you try to package it, you'll have civil unrest and it will never get 'good' over there. the internal faction-hatred is just too deep. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't give that region of the world any serious credit for being able to work out their differences in a peaceful way. when its religion we're talking about (and that's what it is, under the covers), there's just NO word 'compromise' in their dictionary. THAT is the problem, but its one that is too inherent in their belief system.
point well taken....but i think that if a democracy gets going over there, and people start WORKING again..they wont have as much time to dick around killing each other b/c they'll be going after their own self-interests.

boredom is a main cause of violence.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SDPassatT said:
point well taken....but i think that if a democracy gets going over there, and people start WORKING again..they wont have as much time to dick around killing each other b/c they'll be going after their own self-interests.

that's a western view. if you 'keep busy' enough, you won't have time to think about how much your view of god is different from the guy who lives across the street from you.

tell me why democracy has NEVER taken on a real place in any mid-east arab country? if it has never happened, even remotely, in all the years before the US, why do we think WE can force change on them all of a sudden, like?

ain't gonna happen folks. my dollars to donuts are that we won't see any real democracy in a mid east arab country, not even in our lifetimes. maybe our kids lifetimes. maybe. but not in this generation.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Why not to do it with Bosnia? Before Yugoslavia that piece of land never been state in history. It allways belnoged partialy to old Croatian kingdom and Serbian kingdom. So, why keep it hard chatolics,ortodox and muslims togeather?
BTW, there is civil war in N.Irland quite few decades.... Who in Washington D.C. will tell to Queen Elie II "give it away"?
On your Q and mine 1-st Q simple answer is "to keep quiet +1 billion of muslims all over the World". Nobody wants IIIWorld war but on religious fundament (remember Crusaders and "Holly Land" wars)

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
I say we divide the US also.

Dems can have the North with all the snow, and Repubs can have the South with all the Wal-Marts.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sharky said:

Dems can have the North with all the snow, and Repubs can have the South with all the Wal-Marts.
the walmartians and the snowdwellers.

think of all the fun you can have making up the new flags and songs!

me likes.

;)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Sharky said:

I'd take a walmart-free snow zone any day! :thumbup:

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
linux-works said:
SDPassatT said:

that's a western view. if you 'keep busy' enough, you won't have time to think about how much your view of god is different from the guy who lives across the street from you.

tell me why democracy has NEVER taken on a real place in any mid-east arab country? if it has never happened, even remotely, in all the years before the US, why do we think WE can force change on them all of a sudden, like?

ain't gonna happen folks. my dollars to donuts are that we won't see any real democracy in a mid east arab country, not even in our lifetimes. maybe our kids lifetimes. maybe. but not in this generation.

i'd say the answer to that is easier than you think. regardless of reliance on religion and demographic differences, once people get a "taste" of money, they get greedy, no matter where they are.

sure, it can be looked at as a western view, but it's also a repeated notion even in very very old philosophy. look how much the west influences the world as it is? i have little doubt that we can influence them in this way as well....democracy obviously works....look at our GDP per capita...more than 4 times that of our closest competitor.

look at saddam and all the "higher-ups" in the middle east. perfect examples. money and assets are paramount, no matter where you're from. it's just a matter of if you can get them or not. for years those people over in the middle east haven't cared much for it because they haven't had an equal opportunity to "get in on it". Why do you think we have so many Iraqi, etc. immigrants?

also, regarding you comment about "us not seeing a democracy in an eastern arab country in our life time, but maybe our kids..." ....doesn't that just prove my point right there why we shouldn't just "give up"? it's obviously going to work...at some point....the sooner we start, the sooner our goal will be attained.....even is it IS far down the road...

-harry

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Tyrannosaurus said:
Sharky said:

Don't forget that Wall-Mart have HUUUGE parking lots that are sometimes EMPTY :wink:

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Nenad said:
Tyrannosaurus said:
Sharky said:

Don't forget that Wall-Mart have HUUUGE parking lots that are sometimes EMPTY :wink:
That's ok, we'll still have Target. ;)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there is already a target-land.

its called 'wherever shrubya wants to point his missiles'.

ha!!

;)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the new flag of Free Iraq:

heh ;)

and that way, its real easy for guys like bush to aim their weapons. just look for the red target and fire when ready! might come in handy for US vs Iraq v3.0..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts