Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking ahead to my next car, possibly in a couple years. I really like the A3 hatchback, and want a manual transmission, but is it worth it getting an Audi if it's FWD? On the other hand, all other things being equal, a comparable GTI is maybe $1000 less when comparing used cars with no additional options. If it's that close why get a GTI? I'm surprised how hard it is to find any car with a stick...

And after looking at Audi's web site, I can't even find the A3 aside from a mention of the new sedan version. Have the dropped the hatchback?

·
I break for old people
7,516 Posts
It's hard to find anything in manual these days because people have become more and more increasingly lazy and frankly don't care about driving nearly as much as they used to. Everyone wants to feel as if they're Mario Andretti with their stupid DSG and F1 style steering wheel shifters. I personally think anyone that gets a nicer, sporty car in DSG or flappy paddle is an idiot. Defeats the whole purpose of getting a sportier car.

As far as A3 in FWD goes, I've always though if I was going to go Audi, it had to be manual and Quattro. If I were you, I'd go with a GTI, or maybe even a year or two old Golf R. It's manual and has the Haldex AWD system. You can grab a 2012-2013 one with a few K miles on it for the price of a new GTI.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that's the thing. I've driven stick but haven ever owned one. I really feel I need to own at least one manual transmission car in my life. The Golf Rs I have found have all been around $300000. I'm trying to keep it below $20,000. Would prefer $10k-$15k before any down payment or factoring in selling my current car. I may have to compromise on that if I want an A3 that isn't high mileage though. The GTI is still FWD, and I think shares the same platform as the A3, so I'm not sure if there's any major difference.

What I *REALLY* want is an A3 quattro TDI with a manual trans, but that isn't happening any time soon.

·
I break for old people
7,516 Posts
Maybe in a few years when they get some miles on them and they price inflation goes down, you'll be able to get your dream A3.

·
Super Moderator
14,067 Posts
A3 is going to be sedan only in the US. I'm waiting to see what the new R will be.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I was afraid of that. It seems as though if you want a hatchback and a manual transmission in the US you're somewhat out of luck.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,905 Posts
Wait a year or two, Golf R resale values are going to sink like a stone when the next platform is released.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good advice, but I wonder if finding a 2-4 year old Golf R that hasn't been thrashed on will be problematic.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,905 Posts
"next R" = MkVII R
I should have clarified, I meant that resale values are going to plummet when the Mk7 GTI is released. I really think the new (optional) LSD is going to be changing peoples viewpoints dramatically in the FWD vs AWD debate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts