Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My clutch makes a ticking/cracking sound with about the same intervals/rythm after shifting gears. It starts after the pedal is completely released, and only when I've changed gears. If I just push the clutch in and release it, there is no sound.

It sounds kinda like the pedal is creeping further out, like it's stretching something metal. The sound continues for about 6 seconds, crack-crack-crack *quite a pause* and some more cracking/ticking. Every time. It's not loud, but it's loud enough to be heard with the climatronic on and stereo on low. Just background, but still.

I addition the car sometimes crunches when putting into 2nd gear, even if clutch is all the way down. When this happened on saturday, I was busy listening for the *tick* and the tick dissapeared after the crunch. I don't think it came back til the car was restarted. :confused:

What the hell is this sound? Am I being stupidly paranoid about this, my warrante only lasts till the end of february. Don't want to fix this on my own expense.

I'm also having problems with the gearshift shaking sometimes when driving in 2nd. Not just vibrating, shaking visibly. 'Could all this be because a failing clutch?

It's a 2003 wagon, gone 38000miles.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
518 Posts
could be a bad clutch or broken transmission mounts. if its still under warrenty, take it in and have an advisor ride with you so you can duplicate the problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm starting to see the picture. there is definetly something wrong with that area of the car. Something the dealer doesn't want to pay for. They keep saying there's nothing wrong. "All the other Passats are like that". BS!

Maybe I should've listened to those boring voices who said I should go with Toyota. :nervous: :thumbdown

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Maybe I should've listened to those boring voices who said I should go with Toyota. :nervous: :thumbdown
Quiet, your Passat will hear you.

Get it in the dealer quickly -- I would definitely agree with AutobahnB5. Call the dealer and tell them you want to bring it in, and want one of their heavy line guys to ride with you so you can demonstrate the problem. Otherwise, you'll end up giving the service advisor a joyride and end up having to try to re-explain the problem 50 times when they call saying they can't find it...

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Don't tell them it's the clutch. The clutch isn't covered under warranty. Convince them that you think it's a worn mount or something in the tranny. And you HAVE to take one of the techs along with you for the ride, or you ride with them. Otherwise, they'll deny having heard anything.

I had a Chrysler tech tell me I couldn't drive a standard, then when he downshifted to second with my Talon, **CRRRRRUUUNNNCCCHHH**. "Okay, I'll take it into the shop and see what's up..." :)

Getting warranty coverage for stuff like this sucks! Shops don't believe in preventative maintenance, they wait until it's broken...

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
I'd also think there might be a problem with a multi-piece flywheel, if yours has one.
get into the dealer quick with this one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, I finally got a tech from the dealer to take a drive and actually listen. He confirmed that he could hear the sound, and he had no idea what it was. So they took it in. Checked it and found nothing wrong. They gave it a shot of lube, and the noise is gone. For now atleast. The clutch actually got alot smoother too. So I guess the poor thing was just a little dry. But I doubt it w

1 - 7 of 7 Posts