Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever i downshift say on the highway at like 60MPH to third and put my foot to the floor the cars seems to accelerate slow and the revs built without much power. Yet if i downshift and give about 3/4 of the gas pedal it goes about twice as fast. Has anyone noticed this??? any explanation???

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Did it occur to you that your clutch is wearing out and is now slipping? From a standstill, when you push the pedal all the way after releasing the clutch, does it go or does the rev build up like when you do on the highway?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like that post is exactly what i'm talkin bout blakwag. No clutch slip tho powerslide. Anyone else notice this tho. I have a 5-speed btw and its Wett chipped. I am gonna try that hittin it hard then back off then hard.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5-speed 1.8T with a chip and definetly notice it!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm gonna play around with downshifting using 3/4 throttle today. Maybe we can mod some rubber thing under the gas pedal to hit the sweet spot. I did notice once on one of my VAG-COM readings (don't remember which block) that when i hit the throttle half way or 3/4 it said full under a throttle category and when i put it to the floor it said somethin weird i forgot what tho....i'll try to find it again...

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
i dont know if im dumb but i dont understand whats happening here :???:

I have a Wett chipped 02

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Basically when accelerating if you push the pedal to the floor the rate of acceleration is slower than if you only give the car 3/4 throttle.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Oh I see...thanks..I only really apply 3/4 of the throttle all times. I find the sweet spot there somewhere.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This could be related to the volume of air being brough into the engine. At about 3/4 throttle position, the critical, or right amount of air for the engine. When the throttle is opened further, more air than necessary is entering the manifold, but it can't flow any faster than the critical mass flow, which may increase the resistance to flow. It's like when so many people are trying to exit (or enter) a large room through a certain size door. Only so many people can exit (enter) at a time, and if there are more people waiting to exit, it only increases the resistance or confusion of flow.
Does this sound right at all?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was curious about something to that effect as well. I also wondered it a higher flow exhaust would help to get all that air in and out faster???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
blakwag
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing