Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual and Bentley guide recommend 10W30 over 5W30 oils(2002V6PassatAuto). They really make it seem that there is a real big difference. I could not find 10W30 at my auto store tthe other day so I used 5W30 Castrol . Is there a big difference and can it cause a big problem? I am thinking about changing to Synthetics but I don't think I want to risk the leakage thing. Thanks.

·
Registered
930 Posts
if you were in an auto parts store that didn't sell 10w30 then I would find a new auto parts store.. are you certain you didn't mean to say 10w40?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Oil can be a hotly debated topic in this forum, but that is mostly an issue with the excess heat created by turbos. Use either one as long as you don't live where it gets too cold or switch to 5w30 in the winter. I run 5w30 year round in my 03 v6. Some people have said they have more oil consumption with 5w30, but I have never used more than half a qt. between changes. Oh yeah, change it at least every 5,000 if you run dino.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
just because I'm a glutton for punishment ...

http://www.vw.com/vwcom/content/objects/pdf/service_maint/oilchart.pdf

Forget Bentley (unless you're buying a Flying Spur ...then I want a ride). Here's the official list from VW's website. You may notice that there is not a single 10W-40 motor oil on the 502.00 approved list.

(Of course, I'm on my second 1.8t-powered VW, so my frame of reference is a bit skewed.)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
If you look at the bottom of the VW approved oils chart linked in traubenburg's post, it seems to suggest it's for the 1.8T engine. Does anyone know if this VW approved list officially applies to all of their engines including the 2.8 V6, or to just the 1.8T? We know that this list came about as a result of the 1.8T sludge problems, and not any problems with the 2.8 V6.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
y2000passat said:
If you look at the bottom of the VW approved oils chart linked in traubenburg's post, it seems to suggest it's for the 1.8T engine. Does anyone know if this VW approved list officially applies to all of their engines including the 2.8 V6, or to just the 1.8T? We know that this list came about as a result of the 1.8T sludge problems, and not any problems with the 2.8 V6.
My owners manual says the same requirements for the 2.8 V6: 5W40 oil conforming to VW spec 502.00. The Mobil 1 0W-40 conforms to the spec- its sort of by definition that 502.00 = 5W-40, so any weight that conforms to 502.00 essentially covers it as I understand it. You'll note that the 502.00 approved list almost exclusively lists 5W-40 oils.

The V6 may be more forgiving of what oil you give it, but a 502.00 oil is the requirement.

·
Registered
537 Posts
ctobio said:
My owners manual says the same requirements for the 2.8 V6: 5W40 oil conforming to VW spec 502.00. The Mobil 1 0W-40 conforms to the spec- its sort of by definition that 502.00 = 5W-40, so any weight that conforms to 502.00 essentially covers it as I understand it. You'll note that the 502.00 approved list almost exclusively lists 5W-40 oils.

The V6 may be more forgiving of what oil you give it, but a 502.00 oil is the requirement.
yea thats right!

i would not being putting in any 10w anything oil! wtf gave you that idea.

its 5w40 502.00 or 5w30 if your cheap.

i believe the 6 is more forgiving on what oil you use also and i would personally use Mobile 1 5w30 (not 502.00 i believe), since i have a stash of 25L for the pathfinder.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The reason a 10w is better than a 5w is it takes less poylmer to thicken it to a 30w when hot. The polymer tends to shear and turn to sludge. A 5w-30 dino oil will soon be a 5w-20 whereas the 10w-30 will maintain it's viscosity longer with less shearing. A 5w-40 also turns to a 5w-30 pretty quickly. That's the main reason I use German Castrol 0w-30. It is almost a 40w and uses no polymers to thicken the oil so it maintains it's original viscosity over the drain interval.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,491 Posts
Although VW now recommends 502.00 oil for all of its engines made since 1998, I think one could use any synthetic and probably any good dino, albeit on a tighter OCI. The 1996 Audi A4 owner's manual (12V 2.8L engine, no cam chains) permits a wide range of viscosities of "energy conserving" oils, but only a few very specific "conventional oils," and it warns against sustained high-speed driving on 5W-30.

For American owners, the biggest benefit of synthetic oil in the V6 may be the availability of 5W-40 oil, for the best combination of low cold start wear and high temperature protection.

·
Registered
479 Posts
y2000passat said:
Just read the back label of whatever oil you are considering. If it doesn't say something about meeting/exceeding VW Specs 502.00, 503.00 etc, then in my opinion, its not worth the risk.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts