Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go to the bottom for the update. :p

Alright. Weird feeling. I've driven shitty FWDs all my life, and I didn't expect to feel this from my 240SX. But. If I accelerate, and turn right, its as if the car is torque steering. Perhaps the power steering is cutting out?

If I'm coasting/holding steady throttle through a 90 degree right hander, its fine. I can repeat the same roads backwards (and making all 90 degree left handers, whether coasting or accelerating), and its totally fine. But if I'm accelerating and making a right hand that requires turning the wheel more than 45 degrees to the right, the steering gets a little stiff somewhere in the middle. I can also feel/hear vibration through the steering column.

Any ideas? :crazy:

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Are you sure you're not just feeling the steering lighten up from the weight transfer? I assume this is also your first car that has some semblance of steering feedback? :poke:

Could also be wheel bearings, control arm bushings, power steering.. all the usual suspects.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch. :p

Yes, I'm almost positive its a mechanical problem. :eek:h: The thing I find odd about it is that its only happening with acceleration. If it were power steering, then #1, it shouldn't be different left and right, and #2, it shouldn't be only upon acceleration. If the belt was slipping, then maybe the extra torque from the engine would cause slipping, but it shouldn't matter which direction you turn the wheel then.

I'll poke around the control arms tomorrow...

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Yeah, i'm also guessing it's the suspension bushings. Since the 240sx you got mas modded, I wouldn't be too suprised if it was also driven pretty hard, if not also raced. IIRC, it already has some 140k mi. You'll prob have to replace the bushings someday, so might as well deal with it now. It could also be something as simple say just the alignment I suppose. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Macabre said:
Are you sure you're not just feeling the steering lighten up from the weight transfer? I assume this is also your first car that has some semblance of steering feedback? :poke:
He may not hang around here much, but when he does show himself...damn. :lol:

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
My 89 240 has the same issue and I think we have pinpointed the problem to my wheels bearings. I dont have to much time to play around with it so I cannot be positive but I recently did the 300zx, 5 lug conversion so I know the control arms are ok. And it was doing the same thing before the conversion.
Jack the car up and see if you have any play, back and forth, in the rear wheels. :thumbup:

Brian

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dublife: I tested the wheel hubs, and it seems to be alright. No real amount of play in the wheel bearings. The front end seemed looser than the rear, but that's probably because the front end is designed to steer. :wink:

But here's something new I found. The right rear caliper was dragging to some degree...I'm not sure how bad, but the guy said he replaced the rear brakes already...and while the left side looked almost brand new, the right side was on the backing plate. I could hear it rubbing when I had my windows down, but it really didn't seem that severe. I didn't really notice a slowdown at all. So, I pull off the wheel and caliper, and low and behold, my right hand is covered in brake fluid. Could a stuck caliper be the cause of my troubles?

Here's my theory. If the right brake is dragging, if I apply gas in a right hand turn, the inside wheel is #1, rotating slower, and #2, is being braked. When I add more gas, the diff sends more torque to the left hand wheel, and causes the rear end to overrotate and start steering itself. Almost as if I made myself a mechanical LSD! :lol: Does that make sense? :suspicio:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
if you are making a right turn, the right wheel will turn slower, so less torque will go there, so the brake being always on should not matter too much. you should feel something when turning to the left. or maybe the same both directions. i owuld fix that problem and then drive the car again, i feel that there is something worse wrong w/ the car :cry:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright. I figured it out!

Call me stupid (or call the previous owner stupid), but the right rear rotor had a dent in them, with a big rust spot so that the hub was slightly larger than original. So basically, the right rear wheel was never flush against the hub/rotor. I also took a look, and noticed all the tires were rotation the WRONG direction. That rotation arrow doesn't mean anything to ya, huh...

But Macabre was right...some of it was steering feel. :lol: Car feels pretty good, although I'm gonna go ahead and swap some bushings out of the front suspension to hopefully get even more road feel. Either polyurethane, or pillowball mounts to eliminate the bushing, hoping that it's legal in my STS class for auto-x. 15x7 wheels are in the mail, tires are coming from my Passat, and coilovers should be here in a month. :weirdo:

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Ahh, the joys of stupid previous owner tricks. I'm sure I've been guilty of a few of those :lol:

So you went with those coilovers? Pillowball suspension mounts are fun on the street 8)

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah. Order was put in for the coilovers, with bonejarring 9 kg/mm springs (504 lb/in) up front, and 7 kg/mm springs (392 lb/in) for the rear. Extra set of 5 kg/mm springs (280 lb/in) for good measure. And extra pillowball mounts for the front for camber adjustment. :weirdo:

I think my H&R OEs were 225 lb/in, and 175 lb/in in the rear, so I think I'm in for quite the ride. :suspicio: At least I didn't go for the 13 kg/mm springs (728 lb/in). :nervous:

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
I've got 7kg's and pillowballs on the Subaru and was really pretty impressed with how easy it is to live with. 9s should be fun! 13s on a car that light, might as well be solid :) I imagine that's for the drift crowd, though..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts