Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of you work on your own cars (Passat or otherwise) and why you choose to do it.

I think I fall somewhere between wanting to save money and genuinely enjoying the work. I'm a tinkerer and love the whole tear-it-down-get-it-all-back-together-without-extra-parts-or-fasteners challenge of it all. Saving money is a nice side effect.

Where do you stand?

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
As a kid(16) I was a DIY cause its the only way I could afford a car. Now I'm a DIY cause its the only way I can afford mods. That and I love turning wrenches, been working on things since I was little.

tear-it-down-get-it-all-back-together-without-extra-parts-or-fasteners challenge of it all. S
Your not suppose to have extra parts. :)

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
You just end up with more of a sense of accomplishment after you DIY as opposed to paying someone else to do it (not that I dont do that a lot as well...)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
DIY for the past 4 years (ever since the warranty ran out). Basically, I got sick and tired of the service writers laughing at me while emptying my wallet.

Besides, it's a great feeling when you are driving around in a car that you personally fixed.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
im a college student and can not afford to take my car in, and i have alot of spare time. no im not spoiled i work, but i get paid well so i work minimal and when you DIY you always learn something

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
because i can picture me going to the VW DEALER and spending $795 on front and read brakes pads ,rotors & a brake fluid flush ...

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Why? Well let's see.

If I didn't do it myself
#1 I wouldn't have this car, costs too much to maintain/work on by dealer or indy. Heck brakes alone are $1000.
#2 Even is you scratch off #1 I wouldn't have K04 kit or ANY mod as those cost A LOT to install (maybe not alot but enough to put the cost up by a bit).
#3 I only know 1 trust worthy mechanic in my area (that I trust anyways). And since he is a master mechanic of 10 years.......I do pay him well when I do need work.

No need to continue but thankfully this car is pretty easy to work on in general (thank god cause I would be in some deep shit as I didn't research it when I first bought it, or should I say didn't know what I was getting into).

:lol:

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
because:
-I couldnt afford this car to be dealership maintained
-I'm a mechanical engineer so I like busting my knuckles on rusty bolts
-every experience ive ever had with an indy shop has ended in disaster, i.e i dont trust your average wrench monkey
-savings in labor->go right to performance mods :)

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
It was the only reason I bought a VW! If you are going to bring your VW everywhere to get things done, you shouldnt buy a VW, but you make Corporate VW stay alive.

I love working on my car for a few reasons.... the self-satisfaction, learning from what I am doing and from the mistakes (no major ones yet), and obviously too save money!

·
Registered
895 Posts
knowing it's done right.
Back when I was younger, I couldn't afford to take my car to be worked on by a shop. Now I prefer to do things my self. I like the feeling of accomplishment, knowing that I can take care of things myself and I take a fair amount of pride in working with my hands. When you sit in an office all day, it's fun to get under a car.

·
No finga, No finga!
630 Posts
Back when I was younger, I couldn't afford to take my car to be worked on by a shop. Now I prefer to do things my self. I like the feeling of accomplishment, knowing that I can take care of things myself and I take a fair amount of pride in working with my hands. When you sit in an office all day, it's fun to get under a car.
DITTO
Tried the office thing but getting my hands dirty can't be replaced.
Even though I wear gloves...lol

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Why:

1) Like most "guys" I have this need to know how things work. So I tear into them and see if it will still work when I put it back together.

2) Like others above, when the dealership begins to charge outragous amounts for the "maitnenance" stuff that I know I can do, why bother?

3) The Passat was a "right of passage" or a "stepping stone" for me. Once I gained the confidence to do the mods I have done, and even post them knowing I might get crucified for being a knucklehead, I realized I could go to the next level... well, 2 levels up.

4) Great feeling of accomplishment and pride in doing something and doing it well. Saving the money (time not being the factor) of having someone else do it makes the whole thing pretty gratifying.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Another reason, its really funny when you come by someone who says they payed 3k to have there turbo in their 1.8T audi replaced, when you asked if they upgraded they say ya. So you say to what. They say well I went fro the k03 to the KKK03.

·
Registered
121 Posts
1. I'm an engineer
2. Worked at NAPA for a few years as a kid.
3. Can't stand the ridiculous dealer prices.
4. No one besides the dealer can seem to fix it properly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts