Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be needing a second car soon, so I have starting researching the possibilities.

I would love to get a new TDI or 1.8T 4motion wagon but should not commit to the large payment, so it looks like it will have to be used.

My first choice after new would be a W8, but they are more than a new one.

Second I looked up A4's, A6's. 323iT's, 525iT's, and 2.8l Passat4motions.

Why do the A6's have less miles and cost less than any of the other choices?

Any other suggestions for a wagon?

This one is under $15k and 50k miles,

·
Registered
29,164 Posts
They have the same problems as the Passat. Control arms (may have been a recall for Audis) and V6 oil leaks. Still a very nice car.

If you do not need quite as much space,look at used Legacy wagons.

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
wagon's are always cheaper, they're less desirable (unless its an rs4 or rs6:bow:) ....try finding an a6 2.7t sedan 5-spd, i doubt the prices will compare...and remember, used car prices are always high-balled by the dealership...you can get at leas $1200-1500 knocked off just by low-balling it...

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
wagon's are always cheaper, they're less desirable (unless its an rs4 or rs6:bow:) ....try finding an a6 2.7t sedan 5-spd, i doubt the prices will compare...and remember, used car prices are always high-balled by the dealership...you can get at leas $1200-1500 knocked off just by low-balling it...
Actually wagons are almost always MORE money. Legacys, Passats, etc. will be at least a $500 - $1G more on average going off Kelly Blue Book. On the market they can usually pull even more just because they're tough to find. Someone wants a used wagon, there may be 5 to choose from rather then 30 in sedan models.

The A6 and Audi's in general are an exception. Wagons are about the same as a sedan.

This '99 A6 is a steal. But a '99 Passat would be about $5K less if you were getting a comparable deal.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
The biggest reason is sales numbers. There were a TON of 2001 A6s leased out. They are now coming back all at once, killing resale. Heck, even AoA is offering 0% financing on CPO 2001 A6s...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Honda_to_VW said:
The A6 was an underpowerd, softly sprung, beautifull design exercise that was below it's class in terms of overall package.
Audi addressed A6's only shortcoming, lack of power, after they introduced 2.7T and 4.2. These 2 entrants make A6 one of the top cars in its class that rival those of E-Class and 5-Series. They even upgraded 2.8 to 3.0 during facelift in 01. Sports pkg of 4.2 also makes it a nice driving vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.