Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, I consider myself pretty decent with a wrench, but this was way more difficult than it should have been. Heck I think it was easier to put a supercharger on my Miata than it was to replace a simple service item on the Passat (B5.5 air filter).

Boy I can't wait until I finally go nuts and get a larger turbo - 4 hours my butt (what Garret says it takes). My guess is more like four days.

I know that is an overstatement, but I just wanted to rant a little about this wonderful experiece that some German engineer is still drinking some hefewiesen (sp.?) and laughing about.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
You think changing the air filter is difficult?
What the hell are you going to say when it comes to changing the timing belt?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Warped said:
If you think that is hard try doing the headlight bulbs on a b5.5 :mad:
Yeah...I noticed how easy the passenger side was to get to when I completely dissasmbled that side of the engine compartment to change the air filter. I really feel sorry for the guys with the W8...I can only impagine...Oh yeah to change the bulb we just have to remove the engine.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
LoL.. I originally bought SilverStars and another brand of H7s (MTEC) thinking that I would review them for the people @ CB5 but after the effort it took to put in the 1st set of bulbs (SilverStars) I decided my review can wait till they burn out! :p

PITA for such as small thing as that.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Warped said:
If you think that is hard try doing the headlight bulbs on a b5.5 :mad:
On a dark lonely road.....

Oh, and try to do it on a new beetle... :crazy:

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I thought changing the air filter on my b5.5 was one of the easiest cars I could remember...isn't it just a matter of a few clips

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Z28Driver said:
I thought changing the air filter on my b5.5 was one of the easiest cars I could remember...isn't it just a matter of a few clips
Yeah and my wife doesn't remember how painful it was giving birth to our kid either.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
00Psst said:
Z28Driver said:
Yeah and my wife doesn't remember how painful it was giving birth to our kid either.
LOL. Z28driver, you do drive a z28 also, correct? I own a 2002 SS also and if you think that changing the filter in the Passat is easier (or even just as easy) as the camaro (no mater what year it is)...well to each his own. I do slightly agree. Although it is very difficult when you first do it, it isn't exactly brain surgery. The problem is you should't have to go to all that time and effort. For the love of God, its the air filter.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
The reason they designed it so difficult to change is to discourage the average home mechanic from doing it so they can make money off of you by having you bring it in to the dealership so they can charge you for the service. The car was intended to be serviced at the dealer, thats why cars are becoming harder to work on, so they can make the $$$.

Remember, its all about $$$ nowadays. :beer:

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Thats also why you can't buy anything that lasts for along time anymore, because the companies are losing money because the product is not getting replaced. VW doenst make reliable cars anymore so they can make money off the replacement parts and services.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
My wifes 1999 Honda accord, I can remove the air filter in 10 seconds.

My 2000 Passat 1.8t, takes about 10 minutes (plus swearing, smashed finger or two from clamps, mildly burned arm(from turbo side))

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
True, 3 clips and 1 minute later and my Camry's air filter element is exposed.

My first K&N install on the Passat took almost 30 mins. :roll:

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
S_Klass said:
True, 3 clips and 1 minute later and my Camry's air filter element is exposed.

My first K&N install on the Passat took almost 30 mins. :roll:

LOL, yea but you enjoyed doing it didn'y you :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
With a long screw driver I have this down to about a 5 minute R&R including opening the new filter... now... go try to change the spark plugs on a Porsche Boxter :shock:

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
wchp said:
With a long screw driver I have this down to about a 5 minute R&R including opening the new filter... now... go try to change the spark plugs on a Porsche Boxter :shock:
did you ever try to change spark plugs on V8 Mercury Mountainer.... It took my friend 3 days to to it..... :crazy: and he knows how the wrench looks like :) ....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts