Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parents jeep liberty blew a hole in number 2 cylinder, my passat needs axles, baja runs like crap and its too cold in the morning to take to work, jetta needs wheel bearings, tires, and registration, i fired up my wrangler last night after it sat for 4 months so my mom had something to take to work, drove it around all last night, well she gets to work and calls me to tell me the brakes let go on her on the way :icon_eek:, shes fine in was at the bottom of an up hill thank god, she made it fine but i will swing by after work and leave my yukon and take the jeep home. dads toyota camry started something new, it phantomly turns right when ever it wants :crazy:, no idea i've looked at it many times and still have no idea.

time to start :wrench:, need to plan a huge garage day so i can get some of these cars fixed :banghead:

·
for your entertainment...
7,035 Posts
Here's an observation.... you are spread too thin, mate.

Too many cars sucking you and your family dry. Get rid of what you don't need and funnel the funds into maintaining a few reliable cars rather than having project after project lying around not running.

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
Probably a stupid question but, how long do you let your bug idle?

With mine, if I didn't let her idle for at least five minutes after cold start, she would cough and hack until I shut her off and did it again.

·
15,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jacob, i blew a CV boot 3 years and about 60k miles ago finally caught up to me, sounds like i have a little person with a hammer every time i take off going left

Here's an observation.... you are spread too thin, mate.

Too many cars sucking you and your family dry. Get rid of what you don't need and funnel the funds into maintaining a few reliable cars rather than having project after project lying around not running.
funds arent the issue, its finding time to fix things, the wrangler is suppose to be an off road project when i have time to work on it, but i've been so busy the past few months all it did was sit, the camry has had nothing done to it in 3 years all he does is drive it, the steering issue is relatively new. my plan was to rip into the passat this week but thats not going to happen cause i am replacing axles tonight so i can drive it to work so the rents can use the yukon.

there all paid off except my yukon and parents dont want a car payment just because they would rather use that money to go on a little vaca every month

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts

·
15,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably a stupid question but, how long do you let your bug idle?

With mine, if I didn't let it idle for at least five minutes after cold start, it would cough and hack until I shut it off and did it again.
it idles for a little bit before i take off, but the issue is when i am crusing it starts to buck unless i give it some more gas which makes me go faster, i cant just hold a steady speed it will buck like crazy.

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
it idles for a little bit before i take off, but the issue is when i am crusing it starts to buck unless i give it some more gas which makes me go faster, i cant just hold a steady speed it will buck like crazy.
Sounds familiar. Try letting her idle for five to ten minutes. Mine just wouldn't run worth a damn if I didn't do this on every cold start. Mine was also VERY particular about gas: She HAD to have 93 octane.

I don't know your morning routine, but I used to start her before I walked the dogs (last thing before leaving the house.) That way, when I was ready, she was ready.

When I followed this routine, she would happily purr down the highway at 65 mph.

I miss my bug. :(

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,696 Posts
That sure sucks Matt. Sounds like you need a nice reliable rice burner for a daily. Or just borrow Jay's A4 since it's not getting much use these days.:thumbup:

·
for your entertainment...
7,035 Posts
Jacob, i blew a CV boot 3 years and about 60k miles ago finally caught up to me, sounds like i have a little person with a hammer every time i take off going left

funds arent the issue, its finding time to fix things, the wrangler is suppose to be an off road project when i have time to work on it, but i've been so busy the past few months all it did was sit, the camry has had nothing done to it in 3 years all he does is drive it, the steering issue is relatively new. my plan was to rip into the passat this week but thats not going to happen cause i am replacing axles tonight so i can drive it to work so the rents can use the yukon.

there all paid off except my yukon and parents dont want a car payment just because they would rather use that money to go on a little vaca every month
Well then I still say you have too many vehicles that are draining your time. Again... fewer with more attention is a good strategy... or get an appliance car for daily duty.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
That sure sucks Matt. Sounds like you need a nice reliable rice burner for a daily. Or just borrow Jay's A4 since it's not getting much use these days.:thumbup:
with Matt's luck, he's not touching the A4. :hmmm:

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
GEE!

First time I ever got a MIGRAINE from a thread:poke:

However Matt we all feel your PAIN.

At some point, perhaps you need to sit down and do some strategic thinking
about your automotive portfolio.

·
15,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my daily is a GMC, never had an issue with it in 30k miles, parents liberty did daily from 10k when they bought in it 03 to 120k all they did was oil changes and a tranny flush. wrangler was dads daily till my brother moved to the city and they got his toyota which he likes much better, rides better, better MPG's, thats when i took over the wrangler and planned on turning it into a better off roader.

i here what you are saying johnny, baja is the girls car so that doesnt count, passat is the autocrosser, and the jetta was dirt cheap so i got it to use for a daily so i dont have to drive the GMC as much cause at 18mpg on a 80 mile round trip to work is a lot of gas each day. and the girl loves it so i cant get rid of it.

·
he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
3,779 Posts
Carbs jetted too big?

edit: also, may be an issue with the carb floats allowing too much fuel in the bowl. Been a while since I did any carb tuning, tho.

·
15,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thats the weird thing, it ran like a champ last year, ran good for the beginning of this year and then all of a sudden it started this crap, rebuilt the carbs and no change either.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
parents dont want a car payment just because they would rather use that money to go on a little vaca every month
Wow, I honestly (swear!) read that and thought your parents were doing something to a cow... :D

Ditto the advice on cutting down the number of cars.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Bah, ignore the "get rid of the extra cars" Matt. They're either jealous or just don't have the "bug" that some of us do. I'm buried in work on our DD's as well as 2 projects and I STILL troll the used car ads in CL...

FWIW, my wife and I have occasionally sketched out ideas for a custom home and from the very first time we did that almost 30 years ago there has ALWAYS, by joint decision, been a large garage/shop (6 car min)...

Have fun!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts