Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try this here before throwing in the towel on this site: In the B7 Forum, I asked where the 2020 Passat is since it was supposed to arrive in VW showrooms this summer, and of some 59 views at this posting, not a single person has responded. I realize nobody probably knows the answer, but still feel if anyone cared they would at least make SOME kind of comment, like, "hopefully soon," or "I'm looking forward to the new Passat," you know, SOMETHING. ANYTHING. It's as if people here couldn't care less unless it's a discussion about the B5 models. This is supposed to be a Passat enthusiast site and it just baffles me that seemingly nobody cares about what comes out of Chattanooga. We may not get the same Passat as Europeans, but it's still a Passat. Our version. Does anybody even care?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I'll try this here before throwing in the towel on this site: In the B7 Forum, I asked where the 2020 Passat is since it was supposed to arrive in VW showrooms this summer, and of some 59 views at this posting, not a single person has responded. Does anybody even care?
Is “Care, but not that much.” an option?

Arteon and Passat are not really attracting buyers, especially since today’s Jetta has grown to Passat size.
I think Hirnbeiss is correct. People who are interested in a VW in the U.S. are more attracted to everything but the Passat due to the other options available. More people are probably going for the Audi A4 in the U.S. than the Passat.

But I do like the B8 and B8.5 better than the B6 and B7 versions. Especially the Variant versions.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I care because the Passat we get in the US is a lot of car for its price. There is nothing wrong with the Jetta, and in fact I think the MK VII is the best Jetta to date, but while the current Jetta is about the same size as an older B5 Passat, it's still smaller than the NMS we get. I don't care if the 2020 US-spec Passat still sits on an 8-year-old platform, I still love it, and it's a good $15-$20K cheaper than an Arteon to boot, and in fact, as great-looking as Arteons are, I don't think they'll sell well because of their price..They could very well end up just like the Phaeton and the CC. Since those of us in the United States don't get the B8, I can't compare it against a B7. I'll admit that none of this may make a difference in 10-12 years anyway if VW goes all-electric, UNLESS by some chance the Vizzion Concept will carry a Passat badge once it's in production.Either way, you won't see me in an electric unless prices come WAY down from what they currently are.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because of the apathy, it's doubtful I'll continue to even visit this site. That's a shame because I thought it was about being a VW Passat enthusiast whether it's an old 1974 Dasher, the upcoming, refreshed 2020 NMS, or anything in between. Since seemingly nobody here gives a rat's ass about the ones coming from Chattanooga, I'll find a site where people do.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I don’t think you’ll find much. There just isn’t a big forum crowd for newer cars. The following develops as the models age and people look for tips to keep their elderly friends on the road. Even on the CC, it’s basically crickets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll try this here before throwing in the towel on this site: In the B7 Forum, I asked where the 2020 Passat is since it was supposed to arrive in VW showrooms this summer, and of some 59 views at this posting, not a single person has responded. I realize nobody probably knows the answer, but still feel if anyone cared they would at least make SOME kind of comment, like, "hopefully soon," or "I'm looking forward to the new Passat," you know, SOMETHING. ANYTHING. It's as if people here couldn't care less unless it's a discussion about the B5 models. This is supposed to be a Passat enthusiast site and it just baffles me that seemingly nobody cares about what comes out of Chattanooga. We may not get the same Passat as Europeans, but it's still a Passat. Our version. Does anybody even care?

Heh! I own both a B5 wagon and a B7 sedan (both Tdi) and frankly, the B5 is a more comfortable car with a smoother ride, just less bells and whistles. Owned a B6 for a while and did like the auto tailgate which is missing on the B5, other than that they were not so different (yeah, I had to deal with the bad HP fuel injector pump design and worn cam on the B6 so they did fix that mess going forward)..

I just had the opportunity to drive a Tiguan top of the line gasser while the dealership carried out 3 recalls and the infamous evil diesel "fixes" that were demanded by the past administration for the B7 (took 3 days).

The entire 2019 loaner vehicle was glass cockpit, there is no longer anything analog except for the knobs to adjust the HVAC system and a few odd switches, they even messed up the cruise control and near vehicle warning systems and auto cruise collision avoidance, they were NOT intuitive to someone that has had VW's for over 45 years.

I am assuming this is the direction for the 2020 Passat and if so, am personally not sure I would be interested in something that is so completely fly by wire that it is complicated to operate without studying the damned owner manual extensively.

Why they keep messing with really good intuitive controls is beyond me.. Now if they bring back a diesel Passat wagon to USA I might go have a look IF they get rid of the damned DSC transmission and go back to a normal 6 or 8 speed transmission - can't tow crap with the B7 which is why I have the B5.

Hope this makes y'all happy to have something to chew on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gah - typo city - should have said current one is the B8 and the B7 was the one with the fuel pump issues. Otherwise all stands.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm not apathetic because I don't make a comment. For brand new car talk, like for the 2020 Passat, I would spend time on the Volkswagen manufacturers sight, not here, because they would have more details to learn. I have a 2017 Passat R-Line but don't talk about it much because it needs no attention. It's awesome. The styling is wunderbar! I spend more time reading about and will comment more on my 2001 VW Passat wagon because frankly it needs more attention and talk due to it's age and wear and tear.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I get frustrated, but I'm still here. I've tried a few FB Passat groups, but they're either in completely different parts of the world, or the ones that even have US members have too many rude kids like the types one would find in the Car Lounge off VW Vortex. I'm 60 years old, and stopped addressing others as "dude" when Reagan was still in office. I think part of the problem is that I'm a really different type of enthusiast. I like new models and moreover, just as they come from the factory, but I'm content with plain, ordinary cars as opposed to flashy performance cars. I get eye rolls for getting excited over a stock 2008 Passat Wagon at a VW show and walking right past something that's been lowered, slammed, bagged, stanced, and has a $4000 set of wheels. I'm, uh...different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

New here. Great site. On the 2020 Passat, i like it but prefer the 2019. I recently had the option of purchasing either and chose the 2019 in Wolfsburg guise. I preferred the overall design and interior. I wasn't a fan of the AC dash vents extending all the way across the dash in the '20. Just personal preference i guess. But i do like the '20 and it would have been my second choice over any other Make. The biggest factor was warranty length. The '19 comes with the 6yr/72k mile versus the 4yr/48k mile.

I believe the reason it may seem people are apathetic is because even the 2020 is based on chassis that's been out since 2012 or so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts